This zucchini salad recipe is a stunning summer side dish! Made with under 10 ingredients, it's a fresh, delicious recipe that comes together in minutes.
This zucchini salad recipe is a feast for the eyes as well as the taste buds! I love the way the raw zucchini ribbons curl around the crunchy pine nuts and fresh herbs. Parmesan cheese gives it a salty bite, and a lemon vinaigrette fills it with bright flavor. Oh, and did I mention? It calls for under 10 ingredients and comes together in minutes.
Fittingly, the recipe comes from my friend Amanda’s new book Simple Beautiful Food. I’ve been a fan of Amanda since we first met while celebrating the launch of the Staub Cookbook, which she also authored. Since then, I’ve kept up with her fun “fridge foraging” series on Instagram Stories. She believes in simple, straightforward cooking, but her recipes are super creative and pack a huge punch of flavor. You can whip them up in no time, and you’ll always go back for seconds because they taste so good.
Her new book is chock-full of delicious ideas for quick weekday breakfasts, slow Sunday suppers, and everything in between. It’s not entirely vegetarian, but it includes gorgeous vegetarian recipes in every section. I’ll be making the Maitake Mushroom Frittata with Crunchy Microgreens for our next weekend brunch and the Parsley Pesto Pasta for an easy weeknight dinner. And as soon as peaches appear at the farmers market, I have to make the Peach, Oatmeal, and Thyme Pie for dessert!
If you’re someone who loves making inventive, flavorful food without spending hours in the kitchen, check out Simple Beautiful Food! And in the meantime, make this zucchini salad recipe. It’s gorgeous, flavorful, and easy to make. We haven’t been able to get enough of it lately, and I think you’ll love it too.
Zucchini Salad Recipe Ingredients
This zucchini salad recipe is the epitome of “simple, beautiful food.” It’s so pretty and flavorful, thanks to these simple ingredients:
- Zucchini – When you make this recipe, steer clear of large zucchini. They tend to be seedy and watery, while smaller zucchini are tender and delicate. Use a sharp knife, vegetable peeler, or mandoline to slice them vertically into long, thin strips. For a brighter variation, use a mix of shaved zucchini and yellow squash.
- Pine nuts – For crunch! Toast them before adding them to the salad to bring out their rich, nutty flavor.
- Fresh herbs – Amanda recommends fresh basil or chives. I use both, and I also add mint leaves for extra fresh flavor. Parsley or tarragon would be great here too.
- Parmesan cheese – For rich, umami flavor. Make this recipe vegan by using vegan Parmesan or dollops of creamy vegan pesto in its place. Crumbled feta cheese or goat cheese would also be delicious.
- Lemon vinaigrette – Drizzle it over the zucchini ribbons for bright, zesty flavor. Amanda recommends using Meyer lemon juice here, but I substituted regular lemon juice, and it came out great.
Assemble the salad on a platter, and season it with salt and pepper to taste!
Find the complete recipe with measurements below.
Zucchini Salad Serving Suggestions
This zucchini salad is a wonderful summer side dish. Serve it with your favorite protein, a simple Caprese sandwich, or homemade pizza. It’s also fantastic with pasta (bonus points if the noodles are homemade!). Pair it with one of these pasta recipes for a simple, delicious dinner:
- Spaghetti Aglio e Olio
- Easy Pesto Pasta
- Linguine with Lemon and Tomatoes
- Creamy Pasta Pomodoro
- Fettuccine Alfredo
- Roasted Vegetable Pasta
- Best Vegetarian Lasagna
- Or any of these 25 Easy Pasta Recipes!
More Favorite Zucchini Recipes
If you love this zucchini salad, check out Simple Beautiful Food! Then, use any leftover zucchini in one of these recipes:
- Zucchini Noodles
- Stuffed Zucchini Boats
- Perfect Grilled Zucchini
- Zucchini Lasagna
- Creamy Pasta Pomodoro
- Chocolate Zucchini Bread
- Lemon Vinaigrette, plus 1/4 cup minced shallot mixed in
- 3 small-medium zucchini
- 1/4 cup toasted pine nuts
- 1 tablespoon chopped chives
- Handful of basil
- Shaved Parmesan, optional
- Sea salt and freshly ground black pepper
- Use a vegetable peeler to peel the zucchini into thin strips. Place the zucchini in a large bowl, toss with drizzles of the dressing, then transfer the zucchini to a platter.
- Top with the pine nuts, chives, basil, and a few shavings of Parmesan, if using. Drizzle with more dressing and season with salt and pepper, to taste.