This simple grilled zucchini recipe is an essential summer side dish! I serve the veggies over a bright, lemony yogurt with a shower of feta & mint on top.
If your fridge is stuffed with zucchini but it’s too hot to make zucchini bread, crispy baked summer squash, or stuffed zucchini boats, what should you cook? Grilled zucchini, of course! A lot of the time, I grill zucchini along with a mix of other rainbow veggies, but lately, we’ve had so much of it on hand that I’ve been grilling it up on its own. Luckily for us, it’s a delicious summer side dish.
While a lot of grilled zucchini recipes call for slicing the squash into thin slabs, I like to cut it into wedges. This way, the zucchini keeps a nice bite as it cooks. Lightly charred and tender, these perfectly grilled zucchini wedges are great on their own, so you can stop there if you want. However, I highly recommend that you take them one step further by serving them with lemony Greek yogurt, fresh herbs, and feta. This preparation is so easy to toss together, and it transforms the plain grilled zucchini into a bright and simple, yet elevated, side dish.
Grilled Zucchini Recipe Ingredients
This easy grilled zucchini recipe uses just a few ingredients, but it’s loaded with tangy flavor and lots of yummy textures. Here’s what you need to make it:
- Zucchini! A mix of yellow squash and zucchini would work here too.
- Lemon. I squeeze the juice over the hot grilled zucchini and mix the zest into the creamy yogurt base.
- Greek yogurt. An extra-thick yogurt makes the perfect tangy, smooth base for the grilled veggies.
- Garlic. I finely grate one clove to give the yogurt an extra kick.
- Feta. Sprinkle the platter generously with the feta for tangy, salty flavor.
- Mint leaves. They’re a delightful fresh garnish for the bright zucchini and tangy yogurt.
- Red pepper flakes. A pop of color and a little heat are the perfect finishing touches for this recipe.
That’s it! Slather a platter with the lemony yogurt, and pile it high with the grilled zucchini, feta, fresh herbs, and red pepper flakes.
Find the complete recipe with measurements below.
How to Grill Zucchini
Once you’ve chopped your zucchini, grilling it is easy! Preheat a grill or grill pan to high heat, and toss the zucchini wedges with olive oil, salt, and pepper.
When the grill is hot, grill the wedges cut-side-down for about 2 minutes. Then, flip them and grill them skin-side-down for an additional 3-4 minutes, until grill marks form.
Remove the zucchini from the grill and transfer it to a plate or large bowl. While it’s still hot, toss it with lemon juice. Enjoy it as-is, or proceed with the recipe below!
What to Serve with Grilled Zucchini
Serve this grilled zucchini recipe as a side dish with whatever you’re grilling! It would also be fantastic with a summer pasta like this penne, linguine, pasta pomodoro, or pesto pasta. It’d be great with a hearty couscous or pasta salad too.
More Favorite Grilling Recipes
If you love this recipe, try one of these delicious grilling recipes next:
- Grilled Avocados with Veggie Ceviche
- Portobello Mushroom Burgers
- Grilled Asparagus
- Easy Fajitas
- Grilled Corn on the Cob
- Best Veggie Burger
- 3 small-medium zucchini, quartered lengthwise, cut in half horizontally
- Extra-virgin olive oil, for drizzling
- Sea salt and freshly ground black pepper
- Juice of 1 small lemon
- Preheat a grill to high heat. Toss the zucchini lightly with olive oil and pinches of salt and pepper. Grill cut side-down for 2 minutes, then flip and grill skin-side down for 3 to 4 minutes or until char marks form. Remove from the grill, transfer to a plate, and squeeze with lemon juice.
- In a small bowl, mix together the yogurt, lemon zest, garlic, and ¼ teaspoon salt. Spread the yogurt on a medium serving platter, top with the zucchini, feta, mint, and red pepper flakes. Season to taste and serve.