This zucchini lasagna recipe is packed with veggies! I blend zucchini into the creamy filling and layer zucchini planks into the lasagna itself.
Everyone loves lasagna, so I put it on my “to make for September” list. My plan was to use the last-surviving summer vegetables, particularly zucchini since it’s still growing rampant. Instead of using regular ricotta cheese as the filling, I would make a healthier ricotta mixture. Maybe I’d even blend a vegetable to make the ricotta filling. And then I realized – oh wait, I have this Zucchini Lasagna Recipe in THE COOKBOOK that is already my favorite zucchini lasagna recipe of all time. So instead of reinventing the wheel, here’s the wheel!
My Favorite Zucchini Lasagna Recipe
This is no ordinary zucchini lasagna recipe! Of course, it’s vegetarian, so you won’t find any meat sauce, ground beef, or ground turkey here, but I really pack in the zucchini to give it an extra veggie kick. Here’s where you’ll find it:
- First off, planks of zucchini layer in to replace half of the noodles that you would normally need. That’s the obvious move.
- There is also zucchini blended up INTO the “ricotta” filling itself. You’ll never notice it there, but the zucchini, along with blended walnuts, tofu, lemon juice, and spices, creates a thick, creamy ricotta-like filling without using any cheese.
Yes, I put a moderate amount of pecorino cheese on top of this otherwise vegan lasagna. To make this recipe vegan, either skip the cheese or use vegan cheese on top. If you love cheese, use extra, and feel free to mix in Parmesan cheese or mozzarella cheese too!
Zucchini Lasagna Serving Suggestions
This zucchini lasagna is a great main dish for a late summer or early fall dinner. If you want an appetizer, I recommend charred cherry tomatoes or burrata. Then, serve the lasagna with crusty bread and a simple veggie side dish like lemon green beans, roasted tomatoes, or any of these summer salads:
- Summer Panzanella Salad
- Strawberry Salad with Avocado
- Classic Caprese Salad
- Or any of my 33 best summer salad recipes!
If you love this zucchini lasagna recipe…
- ¼ cup chopped walnuts
- 2 garlic cloves
- 7 ounces extra-firm tofu
- ½ cup chopped zucchini
- 1 tablespoon fresh lemon juice
- ½ teaspoon dried oregano
- ¼ teaspoon red pepper flakes
- ½ cup chopped fresh basil
- ½ teaspoon sea salt, more to taste
- freshly ground black pepper
- 5 ounces brown rice lasagna noodles
- Extra-virgin olive oil, for drizzling
- 1 (14.5 ounce) can diced fire-roasted tomatoes
- 2 zucchini, sliced into thin planks
- 1 cup grated pecorino cheese
- Sea salt and freshly ground black pepper
- Preheat the oven to 375°F.
- Make the Zucchini Tofu Ricotta: In a food processor, combine the walnuts, garlic, tofu, chopped zucchini, lemon juice, oregano, red pepper flakes, basil, salt and pepper and process to a spreadable consistency. Add more salt and pepper as desired.
- Prepare the pasta according to the instructions on the package, cooking until al dente.
- Assemble the lasagne: Drizzle a 9x13” baking dish with olive oil, then layer ingredients as follows:
- st layer: ⅓ tomatoes, ½ noodles, ½ ricotta, ½ zucchini
- nd layer: ⅓ tomatoes, ½ noodles, ½ ricotta, ½ zucchini
- Top with the remaining ⅓ tomatoes. Sprinkle with the grated cheese and drizzle with olive oil.
- Bake covered for 15 minutes. Uncover and bake 20-30 minutes more. or until the zucchini is tender, but still has a bite, and the tomatoes and cheese are bubbling. Let rest for 10 minutes before serving. Season with freshly cracked black pepper.