This zucchini lasagna recipe is packed with veggies! I blend zucchini into the creamy filling and layer zucchini planks into the lasagna itself.
Everyone loves lasagna, so I put it on my “to make for September” list. My plan was to use the last-surviving summer vegetables, particularly zucchini since it’s still growing rampant. Instead of using regular ricotta cheese as the filling, I would make a healthier ricotta mixture. Maybe I’d even blend a vegetable to make the ricotta filling. And then I realized – oh wait, I have this Zucchini Lasagna Recipe in THE COOKBOOK that is already my favorite zucchini lasagna recipe of all time. So instead of reinventing the wheel, here’s the wheel!
My Favorite Zucchini Lasagna Recipe
This is no ordinary zucchini lasagna recipe! Of course, it’s vegetarian, so you won’t find any meat sauce, ground beef, or ground turkey here, but I really pack in the zucchini to give it an extra veggie kick. Here’s where you’ll find it:
- First off, planks of zucchini layer in to replace half of the noodles that you would normally need. That’s the obvious move.
- There is also zucchini blended up INTO the “ricotta” filling itself. You’ll never notice it there, but the zucchini, along with blended walnuts, tofu, lemon juice, and spices, creates a thick, creamy ricotta-like filling without using any cheese.
Yes, I put a moderate amount of pecorino cheese on top of this otherwise vegan lasagna. To make this recipe vegan, either skip the cheese or use vegan cheese on top. If you love cheese, use extra, and feel free to mix in Parmesan cheese or mozzarella cheese too!
Zucchini Lasagna Serving Suggestions
This zucchini lasagna is a great main dish for a late summer or early fall dinner. If you want an appetizer, I recommend charred cherry tomatoes or burrata. Then, serve the lasagna with crusty bread and a simple veggie side dish like lemon green beans, roasted tomatoes, or any of these summer salads:
- Summer Panzanella Salad
- Strawberry Salad with Avocado
- Classic Caprese Salad
- Or any of my 33 best summer salad recipes!
If you love this zucchini lasagna recipe…
Try my crispy baked zucchini, stuffed zucchini, grilled zucchini, or roasted veggie lasagna next!
- ¼ cup chopped walnuts
- 2 garlic cloves
- 7 ounces extra-firm tofu
- ½ cup chopped zucchini
- 1 tablespoon fresh lemon juice
- ½ teaspoon dried oregano
- ¼ teaspoon red pepper flakes
- ½ cup chopped fresh basil
- ½ teaspoon sea salt, more to taste
- freshly ground black pepper
- 5 ounces brown rice lasagna noodles
- Extra-virgin olive oil, for drizzling
- 1 (14.5 ounce) can diced fire-roasted tomatoes
- 2 zucchini, sliced into thin planks
- 1 cup grated pecorino cheese
- Sea salt and freshly ground black pepper
- Preheat the oven to 375°F.
- Make the Zucchini Tofu Ricotta: In a food processor, combine the walnuts, garlic, tofu, chopped zucchini, lemon juice, oregano, red pepper flakes, basil, salt and pepper and process to a spreadable consistency. Add more salt and pepper as desired.
- Prepare the pasta according to the instructions on the package, cooking until al dente.
- Assemble the lasagne: Drizzle a 9x13” baking dish with olive oil, then layer ingredients as follows:
- st layer: ⅓ tomatoes, ½ noodles, ½ ricotta, ½ zucchini
- nd layer: ⅓ tomatoes, ½ noodles, ½ ricotta, ½ zucchini
- Top with the remaining ⅓ tomatoes. Sprinkle with the grated cheese and drizzle with olive oil.
- Bake covered for 15 minutes. Uncover and bake 20-30 minutes more. or until the zucchini is tender, but still has a bite, and the tomatoes and cheese are bubbling. Let rest for 10 minutes before serving. Season with freshly cracked black pepper.
I was a little worried it wasn’t going to be saucy enough, as I used gluten free rice lasagna ready to bake, but, Oh wow! The flavor was perfect! The ready bake noodles, excellent. New favorite right here.
I’m so glad you loved it!
Wow! This lasagna recipe is so delicious .
Even my carnivore husband said it was one of the top three lasagnas he’s ever eaten.
I used vegan mozzarella on top. I think I would increase the tofu portion. That tofu ricotta is to die for.
Wow, top 3, I’m so glad you both loved it!
This was delicious and so easy to create! I doubled the tofu portion and used all zucchini instead of adding noodles and it still was delicious! Thank you for creating recipes that are easily adaptable to what I have on hand!
I have made this multiple times ( and not just in season!!) it is soooo good. I make a double recipe and use the “ ricotta “ spread thick on toast topped with tomatoes . Outstanding.
This is so delish. Used regular lasagne noodles. And roasted tomatoes with garlic. Just a dash of cheddar cheese and had to use dried basil. Darn covid is making a mess of shopping.
I find that the tomatoes somewhat pickle the zucchini. Has this happened to anyone else before? This recipe is otherwise delicious!!! I love the tofu ricotta.
I live this recipe but felt like one can of the roasted toamto sauce wasnt quite enough. I also think Ill add another layer. Overall though I LOVED this and cant wait to make it again.
I followed this recipe exactly and it made the most perfect dinner party dish for 4. So delicious, the ricotta misctute is a revelation – well done and thank you for sharing inspiring plant based recipes that are so delicious and everyone can feel great eating.
I’ve made this 3 times now, I did remove the pasta, and added spinach and eggplant. I made it vegan and made my cashew cream with soy sauce. I love this recipe, so healthy and no guilt.
This sounds awesome, I can’t wait to try!! I have a tree nut allergy – is there something you recommend I use instead of walnuts to give it the same consistency?
Hi Nour, you could use extra tofu, or you could try using raw sunflower seeds in place of the walnuts. If you use the sunflower seeds, I might processes it in a blender instead of a food processor so that they become creamy. I hope that helps!
Made this and absolutely loved it! My boyfriend thought that it was even better than regular lasagna and he loves meat.