Fresh Tomato Sauce
This homemade tomato sauce recipe is so fresh and delicious! Use it as a pasta sauce, or serve it on pizza, polenta, and more. Find additional serving suggestions in the post above.
- 3 pounds medium on-the-vine tomatoes
- 2 tablespoons extra-virgin olive oil
- ⅓ cup finely minced shallot
- 2 large garlic cloves, finely minced
- ½ teaspoon sea salt
- Freshly ground black pepper
- 1 tablespoon tomato paste
- 2 teaspoons balsamic vinegar
- ¼ teaspoon cane sugar
- ¼ teaspoon dried oregano
- ¼ teaspoon red pepper flakes
- 1 sprig fresh basil
Slice the tomatoes in half and scoop out the seeds. Set a box grater over a large bowl and press the cut side of the tomato flesh against the large holes of the grater. Grate the tomato flesh into the bowl, leaving the skins behind.
Heat the olive oil in a medium pot over low heat. Add the shallot, garlic, salt, and a few grinds of black pepper and cook for 3 minutes, stirring often.
Add the tomatoes, tomato paste, balsamic vinegar, cane sugar, oregano, red pepper flakes, and basil sprig. Cover and simmer over low heat for 30 minutes, stirring occasionally. Remove and discard the basil sprig and season to taste.