Black Bean and Corn Salad
Serves 4 to 6
This black bean and corn salad is a delicious summer side dish or healthy lunch! It keeps well for up to 3 days in the fridge, but if you're making it in advance, wait to add the avocado until right before you eat. Otherwise, it will start to brown.
For the Dressing
- ¼ cup fresh lime juice
- 3 tablespoons avocado oil
- 1 small garlic clove, grated
- ½ teaspoon cumin
- ¾ teaspoon sea salt
- Freshly ground black pepper
For the Salad
- 1½ cups cooked black beans, drained and rinsed
- Kernels from 2 ears fresh corn (raw), about 1½ cups
- 1 red bell pepper, stemmed, seeded, and diced
- ½ cup chopped cilantro (with stems), plus more leaves for garnish
- ½ to 1 jalapeño, seeded and diced, or 1 serrano, sliced
- ⅓ cup diced red onion
- 3 tablespoons Cotija cheese
- 1 ripe but firm avocado, pitted and diced
- 2 tablespoons toasted pepitas, optional
In a large mixing bowl, whisk together the lime juice, avocado oil, garlic, cumin, salt, and pepper.
Add the black beans, corn, red pepper, cilantro, jalapeño, and red onion and toss to coat.
Fold in the cheese and avocado and season to taste. Sprinkle with cilantro leaves and toasted pepitas, if desired.
I recommend cooking your own black beans for the best texture and flavor (canned beans can be kind of mushy), but in a pinch, canned ones work too.