Plant-Based Diet 101: Roasted Vegetables
An essential part of any plant based diet - vegetables! We love these roasted vegetables as the base of so many plant-based meals.
- 2 cups cubed butternut squash
- 2 cups halved Brussels sprouts
- 2 cups cauliflower florets
- 2 carrots, cut into 1-inch pieces
- 1 to 2 turnips, cut into 1-inch pieces
- 1 small red onion, cut into wedges
- 1 cup halved red radishes or cubed daikon radish
- Extra-virgin olive oil, for drizzling
- Sea salt and freshly ground black pepper
- Lemon wedges
Preheat the oven to 425°F and line 2 large baking sheets with parchment paper.
Choose any vegetables you like from the list above and place them in separate rows on the baking sheets, grouping vegetables with similar cooking times together. See the notes below for the approximate roasting times for each vegetable pictured. Drizzle with olive oil and sprinkle with salt and pepper. Roast until tender and golden brown around the edges, tossing halfway through.
If you’re roasting two sheets in the oven at the same time, switch racks halfway through so that the vegetables on both sheets brown evenly. Remove the vegetables from the sheets as they’re done. Season to taste with more salt, pepper, and squeezes of lemon.
Butternut squash: 30 to 35 minutes
Brussels sprouts: 25 to 35 minutes
Cauliflower: 25 to 30 minutes
Carrots: 15 to 25 minutes
Turnips: 25 to 30 minutes
Onion wedges: 30 minutes
Radishes: 10 to 15 minutes