Caper Recipes: Bruschetta with Capers & Olives
Serves 4 to 6
Capers and olives add briny, salty flavor to this fresh tomato bruschetta.
- 4 small tomatoes, finely chopped
- 6 Kalamata olives, finely chopped
- 2 tablespoons capers
- 2 garlic cloves, one grated, one halved
- ½ teaspoon red wine vinegar
- ¼ teaspoon sea salt
- Freshly ground black pepper
- Extra-virgin olive oil, for drizzling
- 6 to 8 slices Pavé or other rustic country bread
- Fresh basil
In a medium bowl, mix together the tomatoes, olives, capers, grated garlic, vinegar, salt, and several grinds of pepper.
Drizzle the bread slices with olive oil and grill until lightly charred, or toast in the oven. Use the cut-side of the garlic halves to rub garlic onto the hot bread. Top with the tomato mixture and fresh basil.