Cream of Mushroom Soup
Serves 4 to 6
This cream of mushroom soup is healthy comfort food at its best! It's creamy, savory, and absolutely delicious.
- 2 tablespoons extra-virgin olive oil, plus more for drizzling
- 2 medium leeks, white and light green parts, sliced (2 cups)
- 2 celery stalks, diced
- 16 ounces cremini mushrooms, chopped
- 2 tablespoons tamari
- ¼ cup dry white wine
- 2 large garlic cloves, chopped
- 2 tablespoons fresh thyme leaves
- 4 cups vegetable broth
- 1 pound cauliflower, broken into florets (5 cups)
- 1 teaspoon Dijon mustard
- 1 tablespoon balsamic vinegar
- Sea salt and freshly ground black pepper
- Drizzle of coconut milk
- Crusty bread, toasted as croutons or served on the side
- Additional mushrooms, sautéed
- Toasted pine nuts
- Microgreens or tender thyme leaves
Heat the oil in a large pot over medium heat. Add the leeks, celery, ¼ teaspoon salt, and cook 5 minutes. Add the mushrooms and cook until soft, 8 to 10 minutes more.
Stir in the tamari, wine, garlic, and thyme and cook for 30 seconds to 1 minute, or until the wine has evaporated. Add the broth and the cauliflower.
Simmer uncovered for 20 minutes, or until the cauliflower is very soft. Transfer to a blender, add the mustard and vinegar, and blend until smooth. Season to taste and serve with desired garnishes.