Healthy Banana Bread
This easy, healthy banana bread recipe is moist, warmly spiced, and full of banana flavor! Totally vegan, it's a delicious breakfast or afternoon snack.
- 2 very ripe bananas, mashed (1 cup)
- ½ cup coconut sugar, or regular sugar
- ¾ cup almond milk, or any milk
- ⅓ cup extra-virgin olive oil, more for brushing
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 1 teaspoon apple cider vinegar
- 1½ cups whole wheat pastry flour*, see note
- ½ cup almond flour
- 2 teaspoons baking powder
- ¼ teaspoon baking soda
- ½ teaspoon sea salt
- ½ teaspoon cinnamon
- ¼ teaspoon nutmeg
- ½ cup chopped walnuts
- 2 tablespoons chopped walnuts
- 1 1/2 tablespoon rolled oats
Preheat the oven to 350°F and brush a 9x5-inch loaf pan with a bit of olive oil.
In a large bowl, combine the mashed bananas with the sugar, almond milk, olive oil, vanilla, and apple cider vinegar and whisk until combined.
In a medium bowl combine the flours, baking powder, baking soda, salt, cinnamon, and nutmeg.
Add the dry ingredients to the bowl with the wet ingredients and stir until just combined, then fold in the walnuts. Pour into the prepared pan and sprinkle with the chopped walnuts and oats.
Bake for 42 to 50 minutes, or until a toothpick inserted in the middle comes out clean.
*I like Bob’s Red Mill Whole Wheat Pasty Flour because it’s lighter than regular wheat flour. You could also use a 50/50 mix of regular whole wheat flour and all-purpose flour.
If you want to make gluten-free banana bread, you can find my gluten-free banana bread recipe here.