Prep Time: 5 mins
Cook Time: 15 mins
This easy baked feta recipe is a delicious appetizer or meal on its own! Serve it with good crusty bread or pita for scooping up the cheese and sauce.
- 2 tablespoons extra-virgin olive oil, more for drizzling
- 1 teaspoon cumin seeds
- 1 bunch lacinato kale, stems removed and torn into bite sized pieces
- 2 cups tomato sauce, or Marinara Sauce
- 1 1/2 cups cooked chickpeas, drained and rinsed
- 1 tablespoon fresh lemon juice, plus wedges for serving
- 1 12-ounce block of feta, cut into 1/2-inch planks
- freshly ground black pepper
- pinch of red pepper flakes
- warm pita or baguette, for serving
Preheat the oven to 350°F.
Heat a 10 or 12-inch oven-safe skillet over medium heat and add the oil. Add the cumin seeds and let them sizzle gently for a minute or two. Add the kale in batches, letting each handful shrink and wilt before adding the next.
When the last of the kale has wilted, add the tomato sauce, chickpeas, lemon juice, and 1/2 cup water. Stir and let it come to a simmer.
Nestle the feta slices into the sauce and sprinkle with freshly ground black pepper. Slide the skillet into the oven and bake until the feta has softened, about 15 minutes. Drizzle with olive oil and a pinch of red pepper flakes and serve with warm pita and lemon wedges.