Carrot Soup Recipe with Ginger
Serves 3 to 4
This easy 7-ingredient carrot ginger soup is great for warming up on cold nights. With a luscious creamy texture from the blended carrots, it's totally vegan - no dairy or nuts required!
- 1 tablespoon extra-virgin olive oil
- 1 cup chopped yellow onions
- 3 garlic cloves, smashed
- 2 heaping cups chopped carrots
- 1½ teaspoons grated fresh ginger
- 1 tablespoon apple cider vinegar
- 3 to 4 cups vegetable broth
- Sea salt and fresh black pepper
- 1 teaspoon maple syrup, or to taste (optional)
- coconut milk for garnish, optional
- dollops of pesto, optional
Heat the olive oil in a large pot over medium heat. Add the onions and a generous pinch of salt and pepper and cook until softened, stirring occasionally, about 8 minutes. Add the smashed garlic cloves (they’ll get blended later) and carrots to the pot and cook about 8 minutes more, stirring occasionally.
Stir in the ginger, then add the apple cider vinegar, and then add 3 to 4 cups of broth, depending on your desired consistency. Reduce to a simmer and cook until the carrots are soft, about 30 minutes.
Let cool slightly and transfer to a blender. Blend until smooth. Taste and adjust seasonings. Add maple syrup, if desired.
Serve with a drizzle of coconut milk and/or a dollop of pesto, if desired.