Rice Pilaf with Pomegranates
Prep Time: 10 mins
Cook Time: 30 mins
Total Time: 40 mins
Serves 4 to 6
Flecked with red, white, and green, this rice pilaf recipe is a festive holiday side dish, but it's so delicious that we make it all fall and winter long. Make ahead tip: cook your rice in advance and store it in the fridge until you're ready to make the recipe.
- 4 cups cooked long grain rice, any kind - see options below
- 2 teaspoons extra-virgin olive oil
- 1 bunch scallions, white and green parts, chopped
- 3 cloves garlic, minced
- ⅓ cup toasted, chopped pistachios
- ½ cup chopped parsley
- ½ cup pomegranate arils
- ⅓ cup fresh mint leaves
- Sea salt and freshly ground black pepper
- Roasted Chickpeas, optional
- 2 tablespoons extra-virgin olive oil
- 2 tablespoons white wine vinegar
- 1 tablespoon fresh orange juice, plus 1 teaspoon zest
- 1 tablespoon fresh lemon juice
- ½ teaspoon maple syrup
- ½ teaspoon ground cumin
- ½ teaspoon ground coriander
- ¼ teaspoon cinnamon
- ½ teaspoon sea salt
- Freshly ground black pepper
Make the dressing: In a small bowl, whisk together the olive oil, vinegar, orange juice, zest, lemon juice, maple syrup, cumin, coriander, cinnamon, salt, and a pinch of pepper. Set aside.
Heat the oil in a large skillet over medium heat. Add the scallions, garlic, pinches of salt, and pepper and cook for 1 minute until soft. Reduce heat to low and add the cooked rice, using the back of a wooden spoon to break up any clumps. Heat until warmed through. Turn off the heat and stir in the dressing, pistachios, parsley, and pomegranates. Top with mint leaves and roasted chickpeas, if using. Season to taste and serve.
To cook brown/wild rice mix: Combine 1 cup rinsed rice, 2 cups water, and 1 teaspoon olive oil in a pot and bring to a boil. Cover, reduce the heat, and simmer for 45 minutes. Remove from the heat and let it sit, covered for 10 minutes. Fluff with a fork. Makes 3 cups cooked rice.
To cook white basmati rice: Combine 1 cup rinsed rice, 1 1/2 cups water, and 1 teaspoon olive oil in a pot and bring to a boil. Cover, reduce the heat, and simmer for 15 minutes. Remove from the heat and let it sit, covered, for 10 more minutes. Fluff with a fork. Makes 3 cups cooked rice.