Once summer rolls around, I can’t get enough of salads made with a mix of peak season fruits and veggies. I love a good sweet & savory combination, and this watermelon salad with feta, mint, avocado, and a yummy spicy dressing is exactly that. Every year, as soon as I spot a good watermelon at the farmers market, I rush home to make this recipe. It takes minutes to throw together, and it’s incredibly refreshing. Try it once, and you’ll have it on repeat for the rest of watermelon season.
Watermelon Salad Recipe Ingredients
If you’ve never tried watermelon in a savory setting, you have to make this recipe ASAP. Juicy & fresh, the melon goes SO well with the other creamy, crisp, tangy, and spicy components in this salad. Here’s what makes it so delicious:
- Red onion, for a sharp bite of flavor and crispy texture
- Feta cheese, for a creamy, tangy element
- Avocado, for extra creaminess. Plus watermelon + lime + avocado = a match made in heaven.
- Jalapeño, for heat
- Mint or basil, for fresh herbal notes (Mint & watermelon is one of my favorite combos too!)
- Micro greens or arugula, for extra green
- And a bright lime dressing, to tie it all together.
Watermelon Feta Salad Recipe Variations
This watermelon feta salad is a great one to play with. Here are some of my favorite ways to change it up:
- Don’t like spice? Skip the jalapeño, and this watermelon salad will still be delicious.
- Add a little crunch with a handful of toasted walnuts or cashews or sliced Persian cucumbers.
- Make this salad a full meal by serving it on a bed of arugula with some quinoa mixed in.
- Or change up the fruit and substitute strawberries for the watermelon.
Let me know what variations you try!
What to Serve with Watermelon Salad
If you love this watermelon salad recipe…
- 3 tablespoons extra-virgin olive oil
- 1 tablespoon lime juice, plus extra wedges for squeezing
- ½ garlic clove, minced
- ¼ teaspoon sea salt
- 4 cups cubed watermelon
- ⅓ cup thinly sliced red onion
- ⅓ cup Cotija or feta cheese
- 1 avocado, cubed
- ½ jalapeno, thinly sliced into half moons
- ½ cup torn mint or basil leaves
- ½ cup micro greens or small salad greens
- Sea salt
- Make the dressing: In a small bowl, whisk together the olive oil, lime juice, garlic and salt.
- In a large bowl, gently toss the watermelon and red onion with the dressing. Assemble the watermelon on a platter and top with the feta, avocado, jalapeño, mint, and micro greens. Squeeze additional lime juice over the salad, sprinkle with sea salt, to taste, and serve.