This watermelon margarita recipe is the best drink you'll make all summer! With no added sweetener and just 5 ingredients, it's healthy and fun.
I can’t think of a better way to kick off the weekend than with this watermelon margarita recipe! It’s super easy to make (no cocktail shaker required!), and its vibrant color just screams summer. Thanks to the watermelon, it’s naturally sweet, and plenty of lime juice gives it a delicious tart finish. It’s a fun cocktail to enjoy on its own, but if you want to take this watermelon margarita to the next level, serve it with tortilla chips, guac, and your favorite salsa. Cheers, friends, and happy summer!
How to Make a Watermelon Margarita
Unlike a classic margarita, which includes simple syrup and an orange liqueur like triple sec, this watermelon margarita recipe uses 3 key ingredients: lime juice, tequila, and fresh watermelon. You’ll also need ice and salt for the rim of your glass. If you like your drink with a spicy kick, it’s fun to add a few jalapeño slices too. That’s it!
When you’re ready to make your drink, blend the watermelon with the lime juice and ice. Salt the rim of your glass, pour in the frozen watermelon juice, and stir in a splash of tequila (or spicy tequila). Taste and adjust, and enjoy!
Find the complete recipe with measurements below.
Watermelon Margarita Recipe Tips
- Salt the rim. Honestly, this cocktail tastes great on its own, but if you want to take it to the next level, salt the rim of your glass. To do this, rub the rim of an empty margarita glass with a lime wedge, and dip the rim in a small plate of coarse sea salt or kosher salt. Fill the prepared glass with ice, pour in the blended watermelon juice, and mix in the tequila. That’s it!
- Spice it how you like it. I like to make this recipe with jalapeño tequila, which you can make as spicy as you like. Infuse it for 15 minutes, and it’ll be mild. Infuse it for a day, and it’ll be pretty spicy. Or, infuse it for 3 days and, well, that was too spicy even for me, and I have a pretty high spice tolerance. If you over-spice your tequila, just dilute it to taste with plain tequila. You can also leave the jalapeño out entirely!
- Taste and adjust. Whenever you make a cocktail at home, taste and adjust to find a balance of flavors you love. If you prefer a sweeter drink, add an extra splash of the watermelon and lime juice. For more tartness, squeeze in extra lime. If you want it spicier, add extra jalapeño slices and let it sit for a few more minutes. Mess with this recipe, and make it your own!
More Favorite Cocktail Recipes
If you love this watermelon margarita recipe, try one of these summer cocktail recipes next:
And if you have leftover watermelon, make this watermelon salad!
- ½ cup tequila
- 1 small jalapeño, thinly sliced (optional)
- 5 cups cut watermelon
- ½ cup lime juice, plus 4 sliced lime rounds for garnish
- Handfuls of ice
- Sea salt for glass rims, optional
- Combine the tequila and half of the jalapeño slices, if using. Set aside for 15 to 30 minutes to infuse (the longer you infuse, the spicier it will be). If you're not using the jalapeño, skip this step and proceed with the recipe.
- In a blender, combine the watermelon with the lime juice and a handful of ice, and blend until smooth.
- Salt the rim of 4 glasses, if desired, and fill each with ice. Pour the watermelon lime juice into the glasses and stir 2 tablespoons of tequila into each glass. Garnish with the lime rounds.