This watermelon margarita recipe is the best drink you'll make all summer! With no added sweetener and just 5 ingredients, it's healthy and fun.
I can’t think of a better way to kick off the weekend than with this watermelon margarita recipe! It’s super easy to make (no cocktail shaker required!), and its vibrant color just screams summer. Thanks to the watermelon, it’s naturally sweet, and plenty of lime juice gives it a delicious tart finish. It’s a fun cocktail to enjoy on its own, but if you want to take this watermelon margarita to the next level, serve it with tortilla chips, guac, and your favorite salsa. Cheers, friends, and happy summer!
How to Make a Watermelon Margarita
Unlike a classic margarita, which includes simple syrup and an orange liqueur like triple sec, this watermelon margarita recipe uses 3 key ingredients: lime juice, tequila, and fresh watermelon. You’ll also need ice and salt for the rim of your glass. If you like your drink with a spicy kick, it’s fun to add a few jalapeño slices too. That’s it!
When you’re ready to make your drink, blend the watermelon with the lime juice and ice. Salt the rim of your glass, pour in the frozen watermelon juice, and stir in a splash of tequila (or spicy tequila). Taste and adjust, and enjoy!
Find the complete recipe with measurements below.
Watermelon Margarita Recipe Tips
- Salt the rim. Honestly, this cocktail tastes great on its own, but if you want to take it to the next level, salt the rim of your glass. To do this, rub the rim of an empty margarita glass with a lime wedge, and dip the rim in a small plate of coarse sea salt or kosher salt. Fill the prepared glass with ice, pour in the blended watermelon juice, and mix in the tequila. That’s it!
- Spice it how you like it. I like to make this recipe with jalapeño tequila, which you can make as spicy as you like. Infuse it for 15 minutes, and it’ll be mild. Infuse it for a day, and it’ll be pretty spicy. Or, infuse it for 3 days and, well, that was too spicy even for me, and I have a pretty high spice tolerance. If you over-spice your tequila, just dilute it to taste with plain tequila. You can also leave the jalapeño out entirely!
- Taste and adjust. Whenever you make a cocktail at home, taste and adjust to find a balance of flavors you love. If you prefer a sweeter drink, add an extra splash of the watermelon and lime juice. For more tartness, squeeze in extra lime. If you want it spicier, add extra jalapeño slices and let it sit for a few more minutes. Mess with this recipe, and make it your own!
More Favorite Cocktail Recipes
If you love this watermelon margarita recipe, try one of these summer cocktail recipes next:
And if you have leftover watermelon, make this watermelon salad!
- ½ cup tequila
- 1 small jalapeño, thinly sliced (optional)
- 5 cups cut watermelon
- ½ cup lime juice, plus 4 sliced lime rounds for garnish
- Handfuls of ice
- Sea salt for glass rims, optional
- Combine the tequila and half of the jalapeño slices, if using. Set aside for 15 to 30 minutes to infuse (the longer you infuse, the spicier it will be). If you're not using the jalapeño, skip this step and proceed with the recipe.
- In a blender, combine the watermelon with the lime juice and a handful of ice, and blend until smooth.
- Salt the rim of 4 glasses, if desired, and fill each with ice. Pour the watermelon lime juice into the glasses and stir 2 tablespoons of tequila into each glass. Garnish with the lime rounds.
Best recipe ever. Seriously. Im intolerant to mixers bcuz of sulfites and additives. This is my ultimate drink. Everything in it is real. No itchy skin for me. So much thank you! Perfect proportion and no added sugar. This is the perfect cocktail.
Made this last night for a dinner party and it was a huge success! I did infuse the tequila with Jalapeno for over an hour and the tequila had quite a kick. I was concerned it would overpower the cocktail but it did not! This is going to be my “go to” summer cocktail…not too sweet and goes down smooth. It is also a lovely mocktail for those that don’t drink. I just added soda water instead of the spirits. Our guests LOVED it and all had seconds! Doubled the recipe for 5 people and have leftover watermelon juice…will use today in a smoothie!
I’m so glad they were a hit with everyone!
I made the watermelon margarita last night and they were SO good!! I put a couple of slices of the jalapeños in the blender. They added a little zing and were a nice touch. Thanks for the recipe!!
Hi Mary, I’m so glad you loved them!
The watermelon puree base is amazing! I filled a pint glass with ice, 50% spicy tequila and 50% puree. Capped with a metal shaker cup and shook it until cold. Strained into a salted glass filled with ice. Two tablespoons of tequila just wasn’t enough for me 🙂
Yum, I like it spicy too :). I’m so glad you enjoyed!
Was a hit tonight. We just thought it to be in need of a little additional *something*. First off, doubled the amount of Tequila and added Couintreau…Bingo ! 🙂
Ha glad it was a hit (and also adjustable 🙂 )
So beautifully presented! Must say. In love with this healthy juice recipe and going to try it with my morning breakfast.
looks refreshing, must be try.
thanks for the idea.
OMG, I need to try this margarita ASAP!
great idea and beautifully presented! Perfect compliment to summer heat, thank you for this cocktail recipe!
I love it when I already have all of the ingredients on hand to make a recipe! So refreshing and fun for summer 🙂