Make this easy vegetable soup recipe with whatever veggies you have on hand! Nourishing and light, it's perfect for warming up on cold nights.
This vegetable soup recipe is cozy, healing, and warming – just the thing for cold nights, days when you’re craving a healthy reset, or any time you’re feeling a bit under the weather. I first started making it years ago, when I was bouncing back from a cold and had a ton of random veggies in the fridge. Using the ingredients I had in my pantry – vegetable broth, canned tomatoes, dried herbs, and vinegar – I transformed this jumble of vegetables into an amazing soup! Since then, I’ve made it again and again, with a different mix of veggies every time. No matter what produce I have on hand, this easy vegetable soup always comes out delicious.
Vegetable Soup Recipe Variations
I call for a lot of vegetables in this soup, but use whatever you have on hand and/or skip what you don’t have. Here are a few easy ways to change it up:
- Use all carrot or all sweet potato instead of both, or add butternut squash instead.
- Toss in a few sliced cremini mushrooms when you add the carrot.
- Swap bell pepper for the cherry tomatoes, zucchini, or green beans.
- Use another leafy green, like spinach or chard, in place of the kale.
- Garnish bowls with finely chopped parsley or basil, a scoop of pesto, or sprinkle of Parmesan cheese!
The veggies aren’t the only flexible part of this recipe! Feel free to vary the other ingredients as well. Here are a few ideas:
- Add a tablespoon of dried Italian seasoning in place of the oregano.
- Skip the vinegar, and add a big squeeze of lemon juice in its place.
- Leave out the wine, and add an extra splash of vinegar.
- Omit the chickpeas, or replace them with white beans or cooked French green lentils.
Let me know what variations you try!
Enjoy the soup on its own, or pair it with a salad and homemade focaccia or crusty bread, or avocado toast for a heartier meal. I like to make a big pot and eat it the next day and the day after that (I love this soup even more on the second and third days. The flavors develop as it sits in the fridge!). You could also freeze it for up to a few months. If you do, you’ll thank yourself later. Brothy, healthy, and full of fresh vegetables, this veggie soup is a great recipe to have on hand whenever you’re in the mood for something light & nourishing.
If you love this vegetable soup recipe…
Try another vegetarian soup, like this lentil soup, butternut squash soup, potato soup, or French onion soup next! Or, head to this post to find more of my favorite soup recipes.
Many-Veggie Vegetable Soup
- 2 tablespoons extra-virgin olive oil
- 1 medium yellow onion, diced
- Sea salt and fresh black pepper
- 1 medium carrot, diced
- 1 small sweet potato, diced
- ¼ cup dry white wine, i.e., pinot grigio
- 1 14.5-ounce can diced fire roasted tomatoes
- 4 garlic cloves, chopped
- 2 teaspoons dried oregano, or 2 tablespoons chopped fresh thyme or rosemary
- ¼ teaspoon red pepper flakes, more to taste
- 4 cups vegetable broth
- 2 bay leaves
- 1 cup halved cherry tomatoes
- 1 cup chopped green beans
- 1 zucchini, diced
- 1 15-ounce can chickpeas, drained and rinsed
- 2 tablespoons white wine vinegar
- 1½ cups chopped kale
- Heat the oil in a large pot over medium heat. Add the onion, ½ teaspoon salt, and several grinds of pepper, and cook, stirring occasionally, for 8 minutes. Add the carrot and sweet potato, stir and cook 2 more minutes.
- Add the wine and cook for about 30 seconds to reduce by half, then add the canned tomatoes, garlic, oregano, and red pepper flakes. Stir in the broth and bay leaves. Bring to a boil, then reduce the heat to a simmer and cook, covered, for 20 minutes.
- Stir in the cherry tomatoes, green beans, zucchini, chickpeas, and cover and cook 10 to 15 more minutes, until the green beans are tender.
- Stir in the vinegar, kale, an additional ½ teaspoon salt (or to taste), and more pepper.
Delicious soup and so easy. My entire family loved it.
I’m so glad it was a hit!
OK so it’s hard to rave about soup but I am going to give this a 5 star rating. I started with vegetable broth homemade using the Gaz Oakley broth recipe and then I followed this recipe exactly and wow is all I can say! So delicious. my non-vegan family members absolutely loved this as well. The flavor combinations are spot on and honestly I didn’t have high hopes. I was nervous about the white wine vinegar and a couple of the other ingredients but seriously this is the best soup I’ve ever tasted. Thank you for sharing your magic!
I’m so glad you loved the soup!
Delicious, Best soup I ever had the pleasure of eating. Will make many more times.
Hi Floyd, so glad you loved it!
I’ve made this recipe 10+ times and it never gets old! One of my favorite meals.
I’m so happy to hear how much you’ve enjoyed it!