When the air gets crisp in the fall, what’s the first thing you make? Butternut squash soup? Pumpkin muffins? A hearty lasagna? For me, the answer to that question is undoubtedly homemade pumpkin bread. Moist, chocolaty, and perfectly spiced, it’s one of my favorite fall comfort foods – one that signals that the seasons are changing and that the holidays are on their way.
Today, I’m sharing my go-to healthy pumpkin bread recipe with you. It’s warmly spiced, full of pumpkin flavor, and sweet but not too sweet, and because I use flax instead of eggs, it also happens to be vegan. If you’re not vegan, though, don’t worry. You can easily use 2 eggs in place of the flax.
Easy Pumpkin Bread Recipe Ingredients
The ingredients in this pumpkin bread recipe are straightforward – they’re ones I usually keep on hand. Each of them adds something essential to this delicious, easy recipe:
- Flaxseed thickens the batter and helps it rise. Don’t have flax? 2 eggs will work in its place.
- Whole spelt flour makes the base of the batter. If you don’t have spelt flour on hand, all-purpose flour or a white/wheat mix would work here too.
- Cinnamon and nutmeg add delicious, warm-spiced notes to this pumpkin chocolate chip bread.
- Baking powder and baking soda help it rise.
- A pinch of salt highlights the pumpkin spice flavor.
- Pumpkin puree makes this bread super moist & pumpkiny. Find it in a can or make your own!
- Extra-virgin olive oil adds richness.
- Sugar sweetens it up.
- Water thins the batter and makes this bread extra moist.
- Vanilla extract deepens the flavor.
- And chocolate chips dot it with gooey, chocolaty pockets.
That’s it! Let’s bake.
Pumpkin Chocolate Chip Bread Recipe Variations
I love this pumpkin chocolate chip bread recipe as written, but if you’re looking to change it up, here are a few of my favorite variations:
- Add a nut. Swap the chocolate chips for chopped walnuts or pecans, or use half nuts and half chocolate.
- Make it fruity. Fold a handful of dried cranberries, dried cherries, or raisins into the batter.
- Switch the spices. A dash of any warm spice, like cardamom, ginger, allspice, or pumpkin pie spice, would be a delicious addition here.
Let me know what variations you try!
If you love this pumpkin bread recipe…
- 4 tablespoons ground flaxseed*
- 6 tablespoons warm water*
- 1½ cups whole spelt flour
- 2 teaspoons cinnamon
- ½ teaspoon nutmeg
- 2 teaspoons baking powder
- ½ teaspoon baking soda
- ½ teaspoon salt
- 1 cup canned organic pumpkin purée
- ¼ cup extra-virgin olive oil
- ½ cup sugar
- ½ cup water
- 1 teaspoon vanilla
- ⅓ cup vegan chocolate chips
- Preheat the oven to 350°F and line an 8 x 4 inch loaf pan with parchment paper.
- In the bottom of a medium bowl, whisk the ground flaxseed and warm water together and set aside for about 5 minutes until it thickens.
- In a large bowl, sift together the flour, cinnamon, nutmeg, baking powder, baking soda and salt.
- To the medium bowl with the flaxseed mixture, add the pumpkin puree, olive oil, sugar, water, and vanilla and stir until smooth. Pour the wet ingredients into the large bowl of dry ingredients and stir until just combined. Do not overmix. Spoon the batter into the loaf pan and sprinkle the chocolate chips on top.
- Bake 45 to 50 minutes or until a toothpick inserted comes clean.
This recipe can also be baked in 2 mini loaf pans - bake for less time (around 30 minutes).