Say hello to the best vegan peanut butter cookies out there! These easy cookies have chewy middles, crumbly edges, and a fantastic nutty flavor.
As soon as I tried these vegan peanut butter cookies, I exclaimed, “They taste like Nutter Butters!” I meant it in the best way. They have a delicious crumbly texture with slightly chewy middles, and they’re bursting with sweet peanut butter flavor. For me, they’re the perfect peanut butter cookies. If you need a second opinion, talk to Jack. I’ve made over six batches of these vegan peanut butter cookies in the last two weeks, and they’ve all disappeared. Suffice it to say, we’re hooked.
Vegan Peanut Butter Cookies Ingredients
Here’s what you’ll need to make these vegan peanut butter cookies:
- Natural peanut butter, of course! I haven’t tested this recipe with crunchy peanut butter, so be sure to use creamy peanut butter for the best results.
- All-purpose flour – Spoon and level it to avoid packing too much into your measuring cup.
- Baking powder and baking soda – They help the cookies rise.
- Ground flaxseed – I use flax as a binder instead of an egg.
- Brown sugar and cane sugar – This combination creates the perfect complex, sweet flavor and delicate texture.
- Coconut oil – Make sure your coconut oil is softened, but not melted. It should still have a white, creamy appearance, but it should mix seamlessly into the wet ingredients. You don’t want any chunks!
- Vanilla extract – For warm depth of flavor.
- And sea salt – Don’t leave it out! A pinch of salt really makes the peanut butter flavor pop.
Find the complete recipe with measurements below.
How to Make Vegan Peanut Butter Cookies
Ready to make these vegan peanut butter cookies? Here’s what you need to do:
First, make your flax egg. Combine the flax and water. Set the mixture aside for 5 minutes to thicken.
Then, whisk together the wet ingredients and the dry ingredients in separate bowls. Fold the dry ingredients into the wet ingredients and stir until everything is well combined. The dough will be very stiff!
Next, it’s time to chill. Pop the peanut butter cookie dough in the fridge for 30 minutes, and preheat the oven to 350°F.
Do I need to chill the cookie dough?
Yes! As tempting as it is to skip this step, chilling the dough makes all the difference in this vegan peanut butter cookie recipe.
It prevents the cookies from spreading as they bake, and they come out with a clearer criss cross pattern.
When the dough is chilled, you can bake! Use a 2-tablespoon cookie scoop to portion out the dough and roll it into balls. Press the cookie dough balls down gently with your hands before using a fork to give them the signature peanut butter cookie criss cross pattern. Bake the cookies on a parchment-lined baking sheet for 12 minutes. They will still be fragile at this point, so allow them to rest for 10 minutes on the baking sheet before transferring them to a wire rack to cool completely.
Finally, eat! 🙂
- Use runny peanut butter. Look for natural peanut butter with a smooth consistency to make this recipe, not the dry, stiff stuff that you might find at the bottom of a jar. Even when your nut butter is runny, this recipe makes a stiff cookie dough. If your peanut butter is too dry, the dough may crack, and it will be difficult to form cohesive cookies. If you store your peanut butter in the fridge, allow it to sit at room temperature for an hour before making this recipe.
- Leave the cookies on the baking sheet for a few minutes to cool. Like many vegan cookie recipes, these peanut butter cookies require a few minutes to set up once they’re out of the oven. Before transferring them to a wire rack to cool completely (or devouring them right away!), leave them on the baking sheet for 10 minutes to firm up. It’s a win-win: their flavor also improves as they cool!
How to Store Vegan Peanut Butter Cookies
Store the cookies in an airtight container at room temperature for up to 5 days.
How to Freeze Vegan Peanut Butter Cookies
These cookies also freeze well! Seal them in an airtight container or freezer bag and freeze for up to 3 months.
More Favorite Cookie Recipes
If you love these vegan peanut butter cookies, try one of these delicious cookie recipes next:
- Vegan Chocolate Chip Cookies
- Almond Butter Cookies
- Perfect Oatmeal Cookies
- No Bake Cookies
- Vegan Sugar Cookies
- Pumpkin Chocolate Chip Cookies
- Chewy Molasses Cookies
- Or any of these 15 Best Vegan Cookie Recipes!
Vegan Peanut Butter Cookies
- Preheat the oven to 350°F and line a baking sheet with parchment paper.
- In a small bowl, combine the flaxseed and water and set aside to thicken for 5 minutes.
- In a medium bowl, combine the flour, baking soda, baking powder, and salt.
- In a large bowl, combine the coconut oil, cane sugar, brown sugar, peanut butter, and vanilla. Stir in the flaxseed mixture and mix well.
- Add the dry ingredients to the wet ingredients and stir until just combined. Chill dough for 30 minutes.
- Scoop dough using a 2-inch cookie scoop and roll into balls with your hands. The dough should be on the dry side. If it’s too dry and crumbly to work with, add water, 1 teaspoon at a time, until it comes together. Flatten slightly and place on the baking sheet. Use a fork to make cross-hatch marks. Bake for 12 to 13 minutes. Remove from the oven and let sit on the baking sheet for 10 minutes before transferring to a cooling rack.