This vegan frosting recipe is perfect for cakes, bars, cookies, and more! With just 4 ingredients, it's sweet, creamy, tangy, and super easy to make.
The next time you need to dress up cookies, bars, or cake, make this vegan frosting recipe! Made with just 4 ingredients, it’s an easy way to turn everyday baked goods into special occasion treats. Want to transform a simple carrot cake into a birthday-worthy layer cake? Make this vegan frosting! Wish that your muffins were a little more like cupcakes? This vegan frosting can help with that too.
This recipe is my plant-based riff on classic cream cheese frosting, so its flavor is rich, sweet, and tangy. I especially love it on my vegan carrot cake and pumpkin bars, but really, it tastes great on almost any baked good. Slather onto whatever you’re craving! If you have any leftovers, I won’t blame you for eating them straight off a spoon.
Vegan Frosting Recipe Ingredients
You only need 4 ingredients to make this recipe:
- Vegan cream cheese – It gives this frosting a creamy texture and delicious tangy flavor. I like Kite Hill, but if you prefer a different brand, feel free to use it!
- Vegan butter – Make sure to bring it to room temperature before you start to cook.
- Powdered sugar – It sweetens and stiffens the frosting. If you want your frosting to be thick and fluffy, use more powdered sugar. If you want to make a softer glaze, use less.
- And vanilla extract – For warm depth of flavor.
Thanks to the vegan cream cheese and butter, this recipe is almost identical to regular cream cheese frosting. However, if you prefer not to use these products, that’s ok! I have other options for you. Here are a few plant-based frosting recipes you could try:
- The vanilla glaze from this cinnamon roll recipe
- The luscious chocolate frosting from this vegan chocolate cake
- This tried-and-true frosting made with maple syrup, cashews, and lemon juice
Of course, you can never go wrong by serving any dessert with a dollop of coconut whipped cream.
Find the complete recipe with measurements below.
How to Use Vegan Cream Cheese Frosting
Use this vegan cream cheese frosting anytime you need a smooth and creamy topping for cakes, bars, cookies, or cupcakes. I especially love it on my vegan carrot cake, pumpkin bars, and vegan lemon muffins. It’s fantastic on my regular carrot cake, chocolate zucchini cake, sugar cookies, and vegan sugar cookies, too!
Feel free to whip up the frosting while your goodies bake, but don’t frost them as soon as they come out of the oven. Instead, pop the frosting in the fridge, and wait to decorate your baked goods until they cool completely. Otherwise, the frosting will melt!
More Favorite Vegan Treats
If you love this recipe, satisfy your sweet tooth with one of these treats next:
- Apple Crumble
- Peanut Butter Cookies
- Edible Cookie Dough
- Vegan Chocolate Chip Cookies
- No Bake Cookies
- Healthy Banana Bread
- Raspberry Vegan Cheesecake
- Or any of these 30 Best Vegan Desserts!
- 4 ounces vegan cream cheese*
- 1½ tablespoons vegan butter, slightly softened
- 2 cups powdered sugar, more for a stiffer frosting, sifted if lumpy
- ⅛ teaspoon pure vanilla extract
- In a large bowl, beat the cream cheese and butter with an electric mixer until smooth.
- Add the vanilla and powdered sugar and mix until smooth. If you prefer a stiffer frosting, beat in additional powdered sugar, 1 tablespoon at a time, until it reaches your desired consistency.