If you were to ask me which food most defines my childhood, I’d answer – without hesitation – chocolate chip muffins. During my entire childhood, not only did my mom make chocolate chip muffins at least once or twice a week for breakfast, but my grandmother would bring giant containers full of them whenever she visited. Even when I went off to college, my mom actually mailed the muffins to me. That means until I moved in with Jack, pretty much every day was muffin day!
So today I’m here to remedy the situation! These banana chocolate chip muffins don’t follow the family recipe, but I love them anyway 🙂 Here’s what’s in them:
This banana muffin recipe is vegan(!), using my go-to non-dairy Almond Breeze almond milk. To change things up this time, I used their Almond Coconut Unsweetened Vanilla Blend. These muffins don’t have an overly coconutty taste, but the coconut blend adds nice, subtle sweetness. I like to get the shelf-stable variety and keep it on hand in my pantry until a muffin craving hits.
Of course, if you aren’t a fan of chocolate in your muffins, just leave it out and you’ll have delicious banana bread muffins. I think they’d also be great with blueberries in place of the chocolate, but don’t tell my younger self I said that.
And if you have leftover ripe bananas after you make these vegan banana muffins, try my favorite vegan banana pancakes!
- 4 tablespoons ground flaxseed + 4 tablespoons warm water*
- 1¾ cups whole-wheat pastry flour (or white/wheat mix)
- 1 teaspoon cinnamon
- ¼ teaspoon nutmeg
- 1 teaspoon baking powder
- ½ teaspoon baking soda
- ½ teaspoon sea salt
- ⅔ cup Almond Breeze Almond Coconut Unsweetened Vanilla Blend
- 1 tablespoon apple cider vinegar
- ⅓ cup maple syrup
- ⅓ cup olive oil or any neutral oil
- 1 teaspoon vanilla
- 1 cup mashed ripe banana (about 2 bananas)
- ½ cup chocolate chips
- Preheat the oven to 350°F and lightly grease or spray a 12-cup muffin tin.
- In a small bowl, combine the flaxseed and warm water and set aside to thicken for 5 minutes.
- In a large bowl, combine the flour, cinnamon, nutmeg, baking powder, baking soda, and salt.
- In a medium bowl, combine the almond milk, apple cider vinegar, maple syrup, oil, and vanilla and stir to combine. Stir in the flaxseed mixture.
- Add the wet ingredients to the bowl of dry ingredients and stir just until combined. Do not overmix. Fold in the mashed banana and chocolate chips. Use a ⅓ cup measuring scoop to divide the batter in the muffin tin.
- Bake 18 to 20 minutes or until a toothpick comes out almost clean. Let cool 15 minutes, then transfer to a wire rack to continue cooling.
This post is in partnership with Almond Breeze. Thank you for supporting the sponsors that keep us cooking!