Back in college when I first started incorporating more vegetables in to my life, my go-to vegetable was broccoli. I’d throw it on everything – broccoli on pizza, broccoli in pasta, broccoli stirred into my stir fry. Then one day the world went crazy for kale and I feel like broccoli got left behind. It’s so humble and hearty, yet folks always seem to forget about it. It’s not winning awards for the trendiest vegetable, but who knows/? Maybe 2017 will be its year in the spotlight?
I love these twice baked sweet potatoes because they’re at least twice as healthy as any version I’ve eaten before. They’re made with nutrient-dense sweet potatoes and stuffed with broccoli. I made a creamy cashew sauce by blending some of the baked sweet potato mash with creamy cashews and rosemary. Before I baked it all, I lightly steamed the broccoli and tossed with lemon, dijon mustard and scallions. More of that creamy sweet potato sauce goes on top.
This is one of those recipes where the cheese is optional or not optional, depending on your preference. The creamy sweet potato/rosemary cashew filling is so delicious that the cheese isn’t necessary for flavor. But if you ask husband Jack if he wants cheese on anything his answer will always be “yes, please more cheese!”
- 4 medium sweet potatoes
- 4 cups small broccoli florets
- 1 teaspoon extra-virgin olive oil
- 1 small garlic clove, minced
- ½ teaspoon Dijon mustard
- 1 tablespoon fresh lemon juice
- ⅓ cup chopped scallions
- 1 cup cheddar cheese, optional
- ¼ cup hemp seeds
- ½ cup chopped parsley and/or microgreens
- Sea salt and freshly ground black pepper
- ½ cup water
- ½ cup sweet potato mash
- ½ cup raw cashews, soaked 4+ hours & drained
- 1½ tablespoons fresh lemon juice
- 1 garlic clove
- 2 teaspoons chopped fresh rosemary
- ½ teaspoon sea salt
- ¼ teaspoon freshly ground black pepper
- Preheat the oven to 400°F and line a baking sheet with parchment paper. Pierce the sweet potatoes several times with a fork and place them on the baking sheet. Roast for 45 minutes, or until tender. Slice in half and scoop out a tablespoon of mash from each half to make room for the filling, ½ cup total. (Use this for the Sweet Potato Cashew Cream.)
- Make the Sweet Potato Cashew Cream: In a high-speed blender, combine the water, sweet potato mash, cashews, lemon juice, garlic, rosemary, salt and pepper and blend until smooth. Set aside.
- Steam the broccoli in a steamer for 5 minutes or until just tender but still bright green.
- In a medium bowl, combine the olive oil, minced garlic, Dijon mustard, lemon juice and scallions and stir. Add the steamed broccoli, a few pinches of salt and pepper, and toss to coat.
- Fill each potato half with a scoop of the cashew cream, some of the cheddar cheese (if using), the broccoli mixture, more cheese, scallions and sprinkle with the hemp seeds. Bake for 10 more minutes or until the cheese is melted. Garnish with the parsley and/or microgreens and serve with the remaining cashew sauce for drizzling. (tip: if your cashew sauce is too thick to drizzle, stir in a little bit of water until it's a thinner consistency).