Here’s to a new year! This year, like every year, I have no New Year’s diet resolutions other than continuing to eat delicious, wholesome food with some room for fun foods. Just like this vegan tomato soup (wholesome) with grilled cheese croutons (fun!). It’s all vegan, but I promise you won’t know it because this soup is so creamy even though there is no actual heavy cream or butter. We’re partnering with ALDI on this post because they carry delicious organic produce and some A+ pantry staples as well.
But now for this tomato soup recipe! Tangy from the tomatoes, creamy from the chickpeas, and so so satisfying, this vegan tomato soup is so SO good. I’d say yes to a bowl of it every day of the winter. Even Jack, who is not the biggest fan of tomato soup, could not get enough.
My Creamy Tomato Soup Recipe Ingredients
Because it’s winter, I intended to make this soup using only canned tomatoes, but when we got to ALDI, their organic fresh tomatoes just looked so darn good. I decided to make this a roasted tomato soup with a combination of both fresh and canned tomatoes. Here’s what else is hiding inside:
- Roasted onion and garlic add an irresistible, caramelized depth of flavor.
- Chickpeas are the secret ingredient! They make this vegan tomato soup lusciously creamy without any dairy.
- Balsamic vinegar makes it deliciously tangy.
- Fresh thyme adds a lovely herbal note, but a handful of fresh basil would be great too.
- Maple syrup balances the balsamic and tomatoes’ tangy flavors.
- Extra-virgin olive oil adds richness.
- And a dash of red pepper flakes spices it up.
How to Make Tomato Soup
This easy tomato soup recipe can be broken down into two main steps: 1. Roast and 2. Blend.
Here’s how it goes:
- Preheat the oven to 450 degrees and roast the garlic, onion wedges, and whole tomatoes until tender and browned, 20 to 25 minutes.
- Transfer the roasted veggies to a blender and add the other ingredients.
- Blend to creamy perfection!
- Top with the grilled cheese croutons, if using, and enjoy!
Homemade Tomato Soup Serving Suggestions
The vegan tomato soup is delicious on its own, but the fun, yummy grilled cheese croutons really take it over the top. I used ALDI’s Knock Your Sprouts Off Sprouted 7 Grain Bread and their Earth Grown Vegan Shredded Cheese, but you could also use dairy cheese if you’re not vegan. I do have to tell you that I’m so excited about this vegan cheese because: 1 – it tastes really good, 2 – it actually melts great, and 3 – it’s so affordable!
If you don’t feel like making the croutons, pair this soup with a regular grilled cheese sandwich or good crusty bread. It would also be great with a hearty salad like this kale salad, this arugula salad, this farro salad, or this beet salad. A different sandwich, like this caprese sandwich, this avocado sandwich, or this veggie BLT, would be good too.
If you love this roasted tomato soup recipe…
- 3 garlic cloves, unpeeled
- 4 medium fresh tomatoes
- 1 small yellow onion, sliced into quarters
- 1 (14-oz) can Happy Harvest Diced Tomatoes w/ Basil, Garlic & Oregano
- ⅓ cup Dakota's Pride Garbanzo Beans, rinsed
- 1 tablespoon Specially Selected Balsamic Vinegar
- ½ teaspoon Specially Selected 100% Pure Maple Syrup
- 2 teaspoons fresh thyme leaves
- 1 tablespoon SimplyNature Extra Virgin Olive Oil, more for drizzling
- ¼ to ½ teaspoon Stonemill Crushed Red Pepper flakes
- Heaping ½ teaspoon Stonemill Sea Salt
- freshly ground Stonemill Black Pepper
- 8 slices SimplyNature Knock Your Sprouts Off Sprouted 7 Grain Bread
- heaping ½ cup Earth Grown Vegan Mozzarella Style Shreds
- Preheat the oven to 450° F and line a baking sheet with parchment paper.
- Wrap the garlic cloves in a piece of foil and place it on the baking sheet along with the whole tomatoes and the onion wedges. Drizzle with olive oil and a pinch of salt and pepper and roast for 20 to 25 minutes, or until the tomatoes and onions are well browned. Peel the garlic and transfer the roasted vegetables to a blender.
- Reduce the oven heat to 400° F and line the baking sheet with a fresh sheet of parchment paper.
- Make the croutons: Sprinkle 4 slices of the sprouted bread with the vegan shredded cheese (don't pile too high in the middle or the croutons will be too melty to slice). Top with the remaining bread slices to make sandwiches and drizzle the outsides of the bread with olive oil. Bake until the cheese is melted and the bread is golden brown, about 8 minutes. Let cool completely before slicing into croutons so that the cheese doesn’t ooze out when you cut it.
- To the blender, add the canned tomatoes, garbanzo beans, balsamic vinegar, maple syrup, thyme leaves, 1 tablespoon olive oil, red pepper flakes, ½ teaspoon sea salt, and freshly ground pepper and blend until creamy (a Vitamix is ideal here. If using a regular blender, just blend longer!). Taste and adjust seasonings as desired. At this stage, the soup should still be hot. If not, pour it into a pot to reheat it.
- Serve the soup with the croutons (some in the soup, some on the side) and additional fresh thyme, red pepper flakes, and chickpeas, if desired.
Make this recipe gluten-free by using gluten free bread.
Special thanks to ALDI for partnering on this post. Click here to find a store near you!