This tofu scramble recipe is the ultimate plant-based breakfast! Serve it with sliced avocado, salsa, and lots of veggies for an easy, fun, and flavorful meal.
I love starting my day with a protein-packed breakfast like this tofu scramble! It’s energizing, flavorful, and satisfying, the sort of thing that’s guaranteed to keep me full till lunch. I think you’ll love this recipe if you’re vegan – it’s quick and easy, it’s high in protein, and it’s a great savory option given how many vegan breakfast recipes are sweet. But even if you’re not vegan, I hope you’ll give it a try.
Thanks to spices, nutritional yeast, and a dash of Dijon mustard, this tofu scramble recipe is packed with flavor. Instead of thinking of it as a vegan version of scrambled eggs, I encourage you to enjoy it as a yummy breakfast in its own right. It’s a great way to change things up if you’re stuck in an egg rut (anyone else?), and it’s so tasty that it’s worth making even if you’re not. Dress it up with salsa, sliced avocado, and whatever veggies you like for a fun, flavorful breakfast!
Tofu Scramble Recipe Ingredients
Here’s what you’ll need to make this tofu scramble recipe:
- Crumbled extra-firm tofu – Not silken tofu, not firm tofu, but extra-firm. If the tofu is too soft, it will fall apart as you cook it. Instead of making a hearty scramble, you’ll end up with a yellow tofu mush. No, thank you! Make sure to choose extra-firm tofu so that the crumbles hold their shape as you cook.
- Almond milk – For moisture!
- Nutritional yeast – It adds yellow color and savory flavor.
- Dijon mustard – For sharp, tangy flavor.
- Turmeric – The nutritional yeast adds some color, but the turmeric is really what gives this tofu scramble its sunny hue. I also love its warm, earthy flavor here!
- Cumin, onion, and garlic – They round out the scramble’s savory flavor, adding sharp, aromatic depth.
Find the complete recipe with measurements below.
How to Make a Tofu Scramble
This tofu scramble recipe is easy to make. In fact, it’s so quick that I even make it on weekday mornings! Here’s how it goes:
First, whisk together the almond milk, nutritional yeast, Dijon mustard, garlic, spices, and salt in a small bowl. This mixture will give the scramble its bold flavor and soft texture. Set it aside while you start to cook.
Next, sauté! Heat olive oil in a large frying pan over medium heat. Add the onion and cook until it softens. Then, stir in the crumbled tofu and cook until it’s warmed through, 3 to 5 minutes.
Finally, season. Reduce the heat to low and stir in the almond milk mixture. Cook for 3 minutes more, stirring occasionally. Turn off the heat, and season to taste. At this stage, I always add a big pinch of salt and several grinds of black pepper.
Tofu Scramble Serving Suggestions
Serve this tofu scramble recipe with tortillas and lots of veggies. So many fresh toppings and sides would be great here, so feel free to experiment with what you have on hand or what sounds good to you. Here are a few ideas to get you started:
- Salsa! Load up your tofu scramble with homemade salsa, tomatillo salsa verde, or a scoop of pico de gallo. Or, for simplicity’s sake, serve it with halved cherry tomatoes and a sprinkle of cilantro.
- Avocado. Slice it and serve it on the side, or mash it with lime and salt to make a quick guac.
- Sautéed greens, like kale or spinach.
- Roasted veggies. Have some leftover roasted red peppers, broccoli, or sweet potatoes in the fridge? Toss them with your tofu scramble for a veggie-packed breakfast!
Of course, this tofu scramble recipe is also yummy on its own. If you’re not in the mood for tortillas and veggies, serve it plain, with a side of roasted potatoes, avocado toast, or anything you like. Save any leftovers for breakfast the next day. Unlike regular scrambled eggs, this plant-based scramble reheats perfectly!
More Vegan Breakfast Recipes
If you love this tofu scramble, try one of these vegan breakfast recipes next:
- Homemade Bagels with Vegan Carrot Lox
- Cinnamon Rolls
- Homemade Granola
- Overnight Oats, Many Ways
- Vegan French Toast
- Banana Pancakes
- Blueberry Baked Oatmeal
For more healthy breakfast ideas, check out this post!
- ⅓ cup almond milk
- 2 tablespoon nutritional yeast
- 2 garlic cloves, minced
- ½ teaspoon Dijon mustard
- ¼ teaspoon ground turmeric
- ¼ teaspoon ground cumin
- 1 tablespoon-extra virgin olive oil
- ½ cup diced yellow onion
- 14 ounces extra-firm tofu, patted dry and crumbled
- Sea salt and freshly ground black pepper
- Tomatoes, salsa or pico de gallo
- Avocado and/or tomatillo salsa verde
- Sauteéd spinach or kale
- In a small bowl, whisk together the almond milk, nutritional yeast, garlic, mustard, turmeric, cumin, and ½ teaspoon salt. Set aside.
- Heat the olive oil in a large skillet over medium heat. Add the onion and pinches of salt and pepper and cook until soft, about 5 minutes. Stir in the tofu and cook for 3 to 5 minutes, until the tofu is thoroughly heated. Reduce the heat to low and stir in the almond milk mixture. Cook for 3 minutes, stirring occasionally. Season to taste with more salt (I like to add an additional ¼ to ½ teaspoon at this stage) and freshly ground black pepper.
- Serve with veggies, salsa, and tortillas, if desired. See the blog post above for more mix-in and serving suggestions.
Was looking for a tofu scramble and came across this recipe. This was soooo good! My husband and kids thought it was good too! This will be in regular rotation in our home. Thank you so much!
I’m so glad everyone loved it!
Didn’t have almost milk, replaced it with water. Still delicious!
I’m so glad you enjoyed it!