We have a new superfood obsession – we’re head over heels in love with tart cherries. It started with this froyo recipe, but since then I’ve been tossing frozen tart cherries into our morning smoothies and mixing tart cherry juice into cocktails, (among other simple uses)…
It’s an understatement to say that Jack and I both drink a lot of iced tea. While I usually prefer unsweetened tea – I’ve found that adding just a splash of tart cherry juice to plain black tea (or green tea) is so deliciously tangy and refreshing… and just slightly sweet, which is the way I like my tea. This is quick and easy make – it has just two ingredients plus some mint and a few lemon slices. Lime or orange slices would be lovely in here as well.
Tart cherry juice is full of antioxidants (just look at that dark color!), and is a natural anti–inflammatory. Aside from that, most importantly, it just tastes really good. You can find it in the juice aisle of most stores. It’s next to the pomegranate and grape juices.
tart cherry & mint iced tea
- 2 black tea bags
- 4 cups water
- a few big handfuls of ice
- ½ cup tart cherry juice (or more or less to taste)
- handful of fresh mint
- slices of lemon
- optional - frozen tart cherries for garnish
- Steep tea and let it cool to room temp. (or pop it in the fridge if you can't wait).
- Pour tea over ice and stir in tart cherry juice, mint, lemon slices & frozen tart cherries.
- Add more tart cherry juice to taste.
If you want more minty flavor to your tea, try steeping a few mint sprigs with the tea and remove them before serving.
Thank you for sharing this, since its summer here I will also try that one at home, kids will surely love this tea. Awesome.