Ultimate Tart Cherry (or Sour Cherry) white cheddar grilled cheese recipe with sage. Superfood meets comfort food!
When it comes to grilled cheese sandwiches, I think more is more. I say, skip the white bread and American singles and instead opt for:
1. thick grainy bread
2. fancy sharp cheese
3. fresh herbs
4. something sweet or tart, to balance it all out
In this case, component #4 – the tart cherries – are sweet and tart, making this my ultimate grilled cheese. Plus, I like to sneak in superfoods wherever I can.
Tart cherries (also called sour cherries) have some unique super-fruit benefits. They’re a natural anti-inflammatory as well as a source of melatonin. Nutrition aside, they also just taste really good. I especially love their tangy flavor in combination with the savory sage. And they become deliciously plump and juicy when smothered in melted cheese.
They’re available in dried-form year round – I find mine in the bulk bins at my grocery store.
Tart Cherry Grilled Cheese with Sage
- 4 slices whole grain bread
- ½ cup shredded white cheddar cheese
- ¼ cup dried tart cherries
- 6-8 sage leaves
- 2 tablespoons chives
- drizzle of olive oil
- Assemble sandwiches with cheese, tart cherries, sage and a sprinkle of chives.
- Drizzle outside of the bread with a little olive oil and transfer to a hot skillet or grill pan. Press sandwiches down (using a big spatula, or something heavier - I sometimes set another skillet on top).
- Cook each side until the bread is golden brown and the cheese is melted. (4-5 minutes per side)