Happy Saturday and welcome to Day 4 of my meal plan week! In case you haven’t been following, here are Day 1, Day 2, and Day 3. Once again, I’m trying something new this week where I’m posting easy real-life meals where one meal leads into the next, making cook/prep time a breeze. This is the way I love to cook – it’s fun, it’s flexible, and I hope this helps inspire your own meal planning. And speaking of meal planning, here’s a shameless plug for our new meal journal, The Love & Lemons Meal Record & Market List which is a handy tool to help you organize your meals.
Now that we’re later in the week… pasta!! Why? Because pasta is fun and it’s the perfect vehicle to use up bits and bobs of leftover vegetables. I also saved a trip to the store because I always have pasta in the pantry. BUT a humble, back-of-the-pantry pasta becomes less ordinary with an awesome green sauce – the creamy kale pepita pesto that I had on hand from the beginning of the week! A fancy sauce really makes any meal more fun.
So here’s what I had at this point in the week that went into this pasta:
1. Awesome green sauce (a.k.a. the star)
2. A few big handfuls of Brussels sprouts
3. Leftover kale stems from the kale salad that I made the other night
4. A half bunch of broccolini
5. A few leftover chickpeas which helps bulk this up
6. In my pantry: orecchiette pasta (which I chose because it mimics the shape of the sprouts)
7. In my fridge: a few shavings of pecorino cheese (totally optional)
So that’s it! Another dinner, made in less than 20 minutes. Of course, this is super flexible based on the vegetables you might have on hand. It can be made vegan by skipping the bit of cheese. It can be made gluten free if you use gluten free pasta.
Check back tomorrow for the LAST meal in this meal planning (er… backwards meal planning) series 🙂