Meet one of my favorite combos: sweet potatoes + feta. In this recipe, they're the perfect hearty, tangy topping for grains, greens, and nuts.
This easy bowl is what I make for dinner most often when no one is looking. It’s my go-to meal when I’m not working on new recipes, when I’m tired after a long day, and when I’ve definitely had too much take-out pho for one week. It’s not a 30-minute meal because roasting a sweet potato takes at least that long, but the rest is so darn simple. Plus, nothing actually calms me more than the wafting aroma of sweet potatoes roasting in my kitchen.
There’s no fancy sauce in this recipe. You won’t even dirty an extra bowl to mix together a separate dressing. Simply toss the roasted sweet potatoes with quinoa, a bit of feta cheese, and whatever greens, herbs, and nuts you might have around. Dress it simply with a drizzle of olive oil, squeezes of lemon, and a few generous pinches of salt and pepper. Serve it in bowls and get cozy! This combination may be simple, but honestly, it’s one of my favorites.
I’ve made a thousand different variations of this recipe over the years. Here are some of my favorites:
- Roast your chickpeas along with the sweet potato for extra crunch.
- Use any toasted nut or seed—or a mix—in place of the almonds. I highly recommend pepitas or walnuts.
- Try millet or farro in place of the quinoa.
- Add a handful of dried cranberries or dried tart cherries for sweetness.
- Toss in a few tablespoons of minced herbs—think thyme, parsley, or sage.
- Use roasted butternut squash instead of sweet potatoes, a mix of roasted root vegetables, or something totally different, like roasted broccoli, roasted cauliflower, or roasted Brussels sprouts!
- Make a vegan bowl by swapping the feta for vegan Parmesan or dollops of pesto.
- Make a Southwestern bowl by replacing the chickpeas with black beans and the lemon juice with lime juice. Finish it with a drizzle of smoky chipotle sauce!
Let me know what variations you try!
More Favorite Bowl Recipes
If you love this recipe, try one of these healthy grain bowls next:
- Best Buddha Bowl
- Mango Ginger Rice Bowl
- Tamago Kake Gohan
- Adzuki Bean Bowls
- Roasted Veggie Grain Bowl
Simple Sweet Potato Bowl
- 1 medium sweet potato, cubed*
- Extra-virgin olive oil, for drizzling
- ½ cup cooked chickpeas, drained and rinsed
- 1 cup cooked quinoa
- 2 scallions, finely chopped
- ¼ cup thinly sliced red cabbage
- ⅓ cup crumbled feta cheese
- ¼ cup almonds, toasted and chopped
- 2 cups baby salad greens
- Juice of ½ lemon, more to taste
- Sea salt and freshly ground black pepper
- Preheat the oven to 400°F and line a baking sheet with parchment paper. Toss the sweet potatoes with a drizzle of olive oil and a few pinches of salt and pepper. Roast until golden brown, 25 to 35 minutes.
- Toss the roasted sweet potatoes with the chickpeas, quinoa, scallions, cabbage, feta, almonds, and salad greens. Drizzle with olive oil, the lemon juice, and a few generous pinches of salt and pepper. Add more lemon juice and season to taste. Toss and serve in bowls.
*If you like, add some spice to your sweet potatoes. Toss them with chili powder or a combination of cumin and coriander before you roast them.