Happy August! I hope corn is in season where you are, because I have a pretty corny tostada recipe today. Let’s just say that I decided to go for the corn trifecta. I started by making some sweet and smoky corn hummus that is a great snack on its own. Then I slathered it onto crispy (baked) corn tortillas. Finally, I topped these with avocado and MORE grilled corn because, well, I was up to my ears in fresh summer corn, and I had to use it somehow.
After spending the month of July eating pasta, I feel like a I needed a Texas re-tox. Nothing says welcome back quite like jalapeños, salsa, and tortillas.
Tostada Recipe Components
This tostada recipe has 3 basic parts: the hummus, the toasted tortillas, and the toppings.
I start by making the hummus. It’s a simple combo of basic hummus ingredients (chickpeas, tahini, etc.) plus fresh corn kernels, bright lime juice, and smoky chipotle paste. The result is a delectably creamy, sweet & salty dip that’s hard not to gobble up straight out of the food processor.
Next, I brush corn tortillas with a little olive oil and toast them at a low heat in the oven until they become crispy. Then, I load them up with generous dollops of the hummus, grilled corn kernels, avocado, fresh greens, jalapeño, and salsa.
These light, yummy summer tostadas would be a great cookout appetizer, healthy snack, or light lunch!
Looking for more summer sweet corn recipes?
- kernels from 1 ear of fresh corn
- 1 ½ cup cooked chickpeas, drained and rinsed
- ½ garlic clove
- 1 tablespoon fresh lime juice
- ½ tablespoon tahini
- 1 tablespoon olive oil
- 1 teaspoon chipotle paste (or chipotle powder)
- ½ teaspoon smoked paprika, or to taste
- Sea salt and freshly ground black pepper
- 4 corn tortillas
- 1 ear of fresh corn, for grilling
- Smoky Sweet Corn Hummus
- ½ avocado, diced
- 1 scallion, diced
- jalapeño slices, optional
- a few sprigs of baby kale or arugula
- serve with tomatillo salsa, store-bought or the one from this recipe
- Make the hummus: In a food processor or high speed blender, combine the corn kernels, chickpeas, garlic, lime juice, tahini, and olive oil. Blend until smooth. Season with salt and pepper to taste and add chipotle paste and smoked paprika to your liking. Chill until ready to use.
- Make the tostadas: Preheat the oven to 300°F. Brush tortillas with a little olive oil, place them on a baking sheet, and bake until crispy. (You can also toast them in a cast iron skillet if you don’t want to turn your oven on.)
- Heat a grill or grill pan over medium heat. Brush the corn cob with olive oil and grill, rotating occasionally until char marks form. Season with salt and slice the kernels off the cob.
- Assemble the tostadas with the Smoky Sweet Corn Hummus, diced avocado, grilled corn kernels, scallion, jalapeno slices, and baby greens. Serve with tomatillo salsa on the side.
Note: in picture #2, I sliced tortillas into wedges and baked them into chips. If you want chips in addition to you tostadas, slice 3-4 more tortillas into wedges and bake them with the whole tortillas (until crispy), then salt generously.