I realize the contradiction. Yesterday I was talking about not eating bread, and today I’m sharing french toast. That was just poor planning…
Last week, after a chat with myself about basil and desserts, the idea for a strawberry maple basil-ey breakfast stuck in my head.
I rarely make french toast these days. In a previous, less healthy life (college), I ate it just about every day. Sometimes for breakfast and for dinner. I don’t recommend that, but I do recommend a sweet indulgent morning every now and then…
Here are some other sweet strawberry breakfast ideas that caught my eye this week:
Strawberry Basil Scones from Happy Yolks
Cardamom and Nutmeg Waffles with Minted Strawberries from Turntable Kitchen
Strawberry Rhubarb Apple Oatcake from A House in the Hills
- Strawberries (fresh or frozen)
- Maple syrup
- 1 basil leaf, chopped
- 2 eggs
- ½ cup almond milk
- 4 slices day old bread
- ½ teaspoon cinnamon
- Coconut oil, for the pan
- In a small bowl, mix and gently mash the strawberries with a little drizzle of maple syrup. Add the chopped basil. Set aside.
- Whisk the eggs and almond milk together. Dip bread slices in the egg mixture and stack slices on a plate to let the liquid soak in for a few minutes.
- Heat the coconut oil in a large skillet over medium-low heat and cook slices on each side until golden brown.
- Top with the strawberry mixture and serve with more maple syrup on the side.