There are some food trends that I wish would end (sorry, oatmeal). There are others that I hope never end – like avocado toast. In my opinion, this one’s not going anywhere simply because avocados are awesome. And I’m totally fine with that.
A few months ago, I posted a fall/winter version of my favorite smushed green snack and now here’s my spring take on the classic.
I love the sweet/salty/creamy combination of avocado, coarse sea salt and strawberries. These are a delightful little appetizer bites (or, for me, lunch), that take 2 minutes to put together. Don’t forget the fresh basil!
- sliced strawberries
- balsamic vinegar, for drizzling
- ripe avocado
- fresh lemon juice
- sea salt
- toasted bread (pictured: Udi's Gluten Free Millet Chia)
- fresh basil
- hemp seeds, optional for added protein
- Place the strawberries in a small bowl and toss with a small drizzle of balsamic vinegar. Let sit for 5 minutes.
- Slice the avocado in half, then score into cubes. Add a squeeze of lemon and a pinch of salt right into the avocado. Scoop it out and use the back of a fork to smash it onto the toast.
- Top toasts with strawberries, basil, a sprinkle of hemp seeds, if using, and more sea salt to taste.