My favorite avocado toast recipe! Creamy avocado, balsamic strawberries, and fresh basil make the perfect fresh toppings for this light spring lunch.
There are some food trends that I wish would end (sorry, oatmeal). There are others that I hope never end – like avocado toast. In my opinion, this one’s not going anywhere simply because avocados are awesome. And I’m totally fine with that.
A few months ago, I posted a fall/winter version of my favorite smushed green snack and now here’s my spring take on the classic.
I love the sweet/salty/creamy combination of avocado, coarse sea salt and strawberries. These are delightful little appetizer bites (or, for me, lunch), that take 2 minutes to put together. Don’t forget the fresh basil!
My Best Tips for Perfect Avocado Toast
I’ve been making avocado toast since before it was cool. Here are some of my best tips for getting it just right!
- Use good bread, and toast it well. Because your toppings are soft, you want your toast to be nice and crisp to create a perfect balance of creamy/crunchy textures. And of course, the better you bread, the better your toast.
- Use ripe, but not overripe, avocados. If your avocados are underripe, they won’t mash well onto the toast. If they’re overripe, they may be brown and slightly bitter. Look for avocados that give gently when you squeeze them but that are still relatively firm. You don’t want them to be mushy!
- Score and season your avocado before spreading it on the toast. I like to score avocados halves into a grid pattern within their peel. Then, I season them with salt and a squeeze of lemon juice before mashing them onto the toast. That way, the avocado mashes easily onto the bread, and I know it’s seasoned before I load on the toppings.
- Mix it up! Try using different toppings here – other fresh herbs like mint or dill would be delicious, as would roasted veggies, a fried egg, a little feta cheese, or pickled onions or radishes. Spices like red pepper flakes or cumin can also kick things up a notch.
If you love this avocado toast recipe…
Strawberry Basil Avocado Toast
- sliced strawberries
- balsamic vinegar, for drizzling
- ripe avocado
- fresh lemon juice
- sea salt
- toasted bread (pictured: Udi's Gluten Free Millet Chia)
- fresh basil
- hemp seeds, optional for added protein
- Place the strawberries in a small bowl and toss with a small drizzle of balsamic vinegar. Let sit for 5 minutes.
- Slice the avocado in half, then score into cubes. Add a squeeze of lemon and a pinch of salt right into the avocado. Scoop it out and use the back of a fork to smash it onto the toast.
- Top toasts with strawberries, basil, a sprinkle of hemp seeds, if using, and more sea salt to taste.