My favorite avocado toast recipe! Creamy avocado, balsamic strawberries, and fresh basil make the perfect fresh toppings for this light spring lunch.
There are some food trends that I wish would end (sorry, oatmeal). There are others that I hope never end – like avocado toast. In my opinion, this one’s not going anywhere simply because avocados are awesome. And I’m totally fine with that.
A few months ago, I posted a fall/winter version of my favorite smushed green snack and now here’s my spring take on the classic.
I love the sweet/salty/creamy combination of avocado, coarse sea salt and strawberries. These are delightful little appetizer bites (or, for me, lunch), that take 2 minutes to put together. Don’t forget the fresh basil!
My Best Tips for Perfect Avocado Toast
I’ve been making avocado toast since before it was cool. Here are some of my best tips for getting it just right!
- Use good bread, and toast it well. Because your toppings are soft, you want your toast to be nice and crisp to create a perfect balance of creamy/crunchy textures. And of course, the better you bread, the better your toast.
- Use ripe, but not overripe, avocados. If your avocados are underripe, they won’t mash well onto the toast. If they’re overripe, they may be brown and slightly bitter. Look for avocados that give gently when you squeeze them but that are still relatively firm. You don’t want them to be mushy!
- Score and season your avocado before spreading it on the toast. I like to score avocados halves into a grid pattern within their peel. Then, I season them with salt and a squeeze of lemon juice before mashing them onto the toast. That way, the avocado mashes easily onto the bread, and I know it’s seasoned before I load on the toppings.
- Mix it up! Try using different toppings here – other fresh herbs like mint or dill would be delicious, as would roasted veggies, a fried egg, a little feta cheese, or pickled onions or radishes. Spices like red pepper flakes or cumin can also kick things up a notch.
If you love this avocado toast recipe…
Try this fancy spring toast next! Or, if you love strawberries and basil like me, make this strawberry salad or this strawberry basil shortcake!
Strawberry Basil Avocado Toast
- sliced strawberries
- balsamic vinegar, for drizzling
- ripe avocado
- fresh lemon juice
- sea salt
- toasted bread (pictured: Udi's Gluten Free Millet Chia)
- fresh basil
- hemp seeds, optional for added protein
- Place the strawberries in a small bowl and toss with a small drizzle of balsamic vinegar. Let sit for 5 minutes.
- Slice the avocado in half, then score into cubes. Add a squeeze of lemon and a pinch of salt right into the avocado. Scoop it out and use the back of a fork to smash it onto the toast.
- Top toasts with strawberries, basil, a sprinkle of hemp seeds, if using, and more sea salt to taste.
Hi! I’ ve made it today. It was really great! Thank You 😉
I was looking for such interesting appetizers for my bitrthday party. It looks so delicious! Basil, strawberry and avocado! I would hve never thought of it!
I made this today for breakfast, and it was absolutely delicious. So, I bought your cookbook! Can’t wait to try more of your recipes.
this looks delicious!!
mmmmmmmmmmmmmm …… yum yum!!
Just seems so fresh and tasty. Especially with our local strawberries being ready to pick!
Just so you know, I’ve been making this every day since you posted it!
Ha, I’m so glad you like it 🙂
cannot get enough strawberries….lol or avocado toast. so this is perfect!!
These look wonderful! They are going to be a hit with my kids!
This is a delicious snack with a chilled glass of wine. Instead of fresh strawberries, I just made homemade jam and used what I had on hand. Perfect combination of sweet, sour, and salt!
I love love love the combination of strawberries & basil and avocado & sea salt. Never tried them together, but I’m actually quite convinced they would be awesome 🙂
This looks fantastic.
My girlfriends has wheat intolerance, Can’t wait to try this tomorrow.
We make our own bread as gluten free is so expensive.
Thanks for sharing
I haven’t tried it yet, but I’m sure I will love this combination! One of my favorite avocado partners is sweet, ripe mango; basil or cilantro works well here. I always add them to salad…haven’t tried toast.
Where did you get that kitchen towel? I love it!
The toast looks really good, too 🙂
I can’t quite remember – I think it was from this store, although it’s not here now (I got it maybe a year ago). If another store comes to mind and I find it available, I’ll come back and let you know 🙂 http://www.toa.st/us/category/house+and+home+table+linen/table+linen.htm
Here’s to hoping avocado toast NEVER goes out of style. And even if it does, you can trust that I will still be scarfing it down. LOVE the idea of adding strawberries and basil. 3 of the greatest foods on earth coming together? Heaven in a mouthful.
This is totally the kind of thing you can eat for any meal. I love the strawberries on top!
absolutely love the touch of strawberries <3
This looks divine! I love avocado and strawberries, and I see no reason why they won’t be amazing together.
Wow this sounds incredible! I’ve put strawberries in my guacamole before, but I never thought of doing it as avocado toast AND with the fresh basil. Genius!
This is wild. I would never have thought to put strawberries with avocado. I’ve always been a great fan of salt with avocado and strawberries and toast but who knew they could be combined! I’m definitely trying this out over the weekend! Thanks for the post!