I have a soft spot for the trio of tomato, basil, & balsamic. Jack has a soft spot for soft cheese (ok, really, any cheese). Since I likely don’t need to explain how to make a tomato crostini, I made a little sweet twist on my favorite appetizer using strawberries instead.
You could toss the strawberries in balsamic, or go one extra step and reduce the balsamic into a pan until it becomes a more concentrated, tangy syrup. And be sure to get the sweetest strawberries and some good fresh mozzarella because when there are this few ingredients, each one counts.
p.s. I’m sure this would be tasty (as a dessert) doused in chocolate, as it sort of looks in the photo.
p.p.s. how cute is that mini walnut cutting board? My cousin Steve made it for me… best hostess gift ever. (Hi cuz!)
strawberry balsamic crostini
- sliced strawberries
- ½ cup balsamic vinegar (will reduce to ¼ cup)
- baguette slices
- olive oil
- ball of fresh mozzarella, sliced
- mint or basil
- Thinly slice strawberries, and sprinkle with a little bit of salt. Set aside.
- Reduce balsamic into a syrup. In a small saucepan, heat balsamic until it just barely comes to a boil. Lower heat to a simmer and let it reduce (stirring occasionally) until it's about ½ the amount you started with. (5-7 minutes, depending on how much you have in your pan).
- While you're waiting for the balsamic to reduce, drizzle the bread with olive oil and toast or grill it.
- Assemble crostini with a piece of mozzarella, strawberries, a drizzle of the reduced balsamic and fresh mint.
Hi, thought that cutting board looked familiar! See you soon?
how did i never think of this?? great job.
What a great idea! I love this flavor combination. Looks so refreshing and tasty.
Love the cutting board and the crostini look delicious!!
Strawberries with black pepper is one of my favourite taste duo’s, but I can imagine strawberry & balsamic may take prime postition from now on. it sounds delish!
LOVE these! I just made Blueberry Basil Balsamic Mozzarella Crisp that were to die for! Cant wait to try your strawberry version! YUM!
wow, that sounds delicious, want to come over? 🙂
All your food looks amazing! I grab lots of inspiration from your site. Thank you!
This looks fantastic, definitely trying it with strawberries + basil. It’s amazing how well strawberries substitute for tomatoes, and (occasionally) vice versa. I’ve been muddling strawberries and fresh basil leaves in my drinks – great with sparkling water + white wine.
Love the combination of sweet and savory, so will be adding this to the file!
Love the simplicity to this! So colourful!
These are so pretty (and that chocolate idea is stellar!)
I love this combination. I eat it quite often during a strawberry season 🙂 Great pictures!
I used to hate this combination before I knew/required the potential for enhancing sweetness. Totally thinking about making this in a dessert pizza for Friday TGIF night. And yes that is cute chopping broad ^_^.