Fresh veggies, herbs, and peanut noodles pack these spring rolls with tangy, bright & refreshing flavors. They're a delicious light lunch or appetizer!
Spring rolls are my favorite thing to make when I’m craving something light and healthy, but totally fun. I love stuffing rice paper wrappers with lots of fresh produce, mixing together a flavorful dipping sauce, and digging in! For this Vietnamese spring roll recipe, I toss noodles with an easy, sweet and savory peanut sauce made of peanut butter, sriracha, tamari, and a drop of maple syrup. Then, I roll the noodles into wrappers with avocado, sautéed mushrooms, green onion, and fresh basil and mint.
How to Make Spring Rolls
If you’ve never made fresh spring rolls before, it may seem intimidating, but it’s really simple!
- Start by soaking rice paper wrappers, one at a time, in warm water until they soften. (I like these spring roll wrappers best).
- Lay the soaked rice paper flat on a clean kitchen or paper towel.
- Next, pile your prepared fillings in the middle. For this recipe, cook a few mushrooms, thinly slice an avocado, and add some herbs or greens on top of your noodles.
- Tightly roll the wrapper over and around your fillings. The rice paper will be sticky, so it will seal everything together tightly. That’s it!
Spring Roll Recipe Variations
Feel free to play with the fillings in this recipe! Cilantro would be another great herbal addition, and thinly sliced cucumber or carrots would add a lovely crunch. Thin slices of daikon or watermelon radish, red bell pepper, shredded cabbage, or lettuce leaves would be good veggie choices too. For extra protein and hearty texture, try adding sliced baked tofu or tempeh.
I love to serve these spring rolls with peanut dipping sauce, but they’d also be delicious with tamari, soy sauce, or hoisin sauce on the side.
Love this recipe? Make these fresh summer rolls next!
Fresh Spring Rolls
For the mushrooms
- 1/2 teaspoon extra-virgin olive oil
- 1 cup enoki or sliced shiitake mushrooms
- 1/2 teaspoon tamari
For the spring rolls:
- 4 ounces cooked soba or rice noodles
- Peanut Sauce
- 4 Vietnamese rice spring roll wrappers*
- 1 avocado, sliced
- Fresh basil & mint leaves
- 1/4 cup microgreens
- Tamari, for serving
- Heat the oil in a small skillet over medium heat. Add the mushrooms and cook until browned and soft, about 5 minutes. Remove the pan from the heat, add the tamari and toss. Set aside.
- Toss the noodles with a few spoonfuls of the peanut sauce until they're well coated.
- One at a time, dip the rice paper wrappers into warm water for 5 seconds. Remove and place on a clean towel.
- Place the noodles, mushrooms, avocado, herbs, and microgreens in the center of the rice paper. Wrap & tuck the sides, then the bottom flap, and then carefully roll until the wrapper is tightly closed.
- Serve with extra peanut sauce and tamari for dipping.