Lately, our weekends have been filled with some pretty extravagant eats. After a few weeks in a row of food & wine fests, gelato fests (oh, yes), and dinners out with friends, I’ve been feeling a little over-indulged, to say the least. Quinoa to the rescue!
Nothing helps me feel more grounded than a bowl of quinoa piled with veggies. This bowl is pretty simple if you’ve prepped a few of these items in advance. I like to make a big batch of quinoa and keep it in the fridge all week. Same with pesto… and this week I happened to have these pickled chard stems on hand.
I cooked up some mushrooms with my new favorite combo – balsamic & soy sauce – then piled the veggies into bowls. I you haven’t pickled chard yet, you could sub in some dried fruit for a pop of sweetness.
Here’s to a happy healthy weekend! (With maybe just a small scoop of gelato).
spring quinoa bowls
- a few cups chopped cremini mushrooms
- 1 tablespoon olive oil or coconut oil
- splash of balsamic vinegar
- splash of soy sauce (or tamari)
- 1.5 cups cooked quinoa
- a few handfuls spinach, chopped (or sauteed chard)
- a few slabs of tofu, cubed
- 1-2 radishes, sliced thin
- ½ cup edamame (frozen is ok, thaw it)
- a few spoonfuls of pickled chard stems
- a few dollops of walnut pesto
- more salt & pepper, to taste
- Cook your quinoa and make your pesto (both can be done ahead).
- Heat a large skillet to medium heat. Add a splash of olive oil (or coconut oil), to the pan, then add the mushrooms and a few pinches of salt. Toss to coat and then let the mushrooms cook (without touching them) for a couple of minutes. Stir, and let them continue browning on all sides. (This happens when you stir them only occasionally so they can caramelize).
- Once your mushrooms are starting to really brown, add a splash of balsamic vinegar and stir. Add a smaller splash of soy sauce, stir again. Let cook for (about) 30 seconds more and remove them from the pan. Taste and adjust seasonings. (Note - if you've over-salted them, just salt your quinoa less).
- Assemble bowls with quinoa, mushrooms, spinach, tofu, radishes, edamame, chard stems, and a dollop of pesto. (or whatever assortment of veggies you like).
Oh boy! I can’t wait to make this! I have been craving some really spring-y grain salads.
I am with you, grain and veggie bowls are my ultimate healthy reset meal after one too many indulgences 🙂 And the picked chard stems are so original, I’ll have to try them out!
I don’t make nearly enough dinners with quinoa. This looks so good!
Looks delicious! I love tofu.
Looks delicious and so colourful! Love the photography once again! xxx
I love one bowl meals! Beautifully healthy!
Hi Jeanine, pickled chard sounds amazing, love these quinoa bowls! Love a food filled week-end!
These bowls are so pretty! I love whipping a variation one of these up for a quick and nutritious lunch – the acidity from the pickles is killer!
I can’t wait to try these! You may want to try my fave Quinoa Salad- Perfect for lunch during the week Quinoa, Roasted Brussels Sprouts, Apples Raisins, Lemon, and chicken – Here is the link
This is such a rad dinner. Colourful and totally tasty!
Yum!! Perfect detox/vacation recovery salad 🙂
How beautiful! Quinoa is so versatile & I love the additions such as balsamic mushrooms.