This month, we have a ton of airplane travel coming up. Not to complain, but travel is one of those things where I LOVE the destination(s) but don’t love the journey… especially the food that’s available during the journey, a.k.a airport food. It’s become my habit to bring my own food on the plane, and with 12+ hours to France(!) on Friday, I’m making some tasty to-go hummus wraps. These wraps would be great for school lunch boxes as well!
This recipe is inspired by the hummus wraps that I picked up at Whole Foods in Union Square when we were flying home a few months ago from NYC. They were portable and tasty, and I thought I’d enjoy recreating a version for our flight this week.
I start by making a very light, very green hummus. It’s made with chickpeas, tahini, some vegetable broth (which keeps these light because you can use a little less tahini), garlic, spices, handfuls of spinach, and a bit of parsley.
Next – I spread the hummus and layer the lunch wraps! I put a layer of spinach, followed by strips of cucumbers and peppers that I picked up last weekend at the farmers market. Because I’ll be traveling with these hummus wraps, I stayed away from juicier vegetables, like tomatoes, because I don’t want the tortillas to get soggy.
It’s like layering ingredients for a sushi roll – I’m just using whole grain wraps instead.
The hummus is the “glue” that holds these together. You could also use larger burrito-sized wraps if you wanted to.
Wrap them up in foil and they’re good to go! I’m going to pack these lunch wraps in my carry-on with a small ice pack to keep them fresh. For more tips on packing healthy lunches and to see my other go-to travel recipes, check out this post!
- 4 large tortillas (I used these)
- Several handfuls of spinach leaves - about 8 per wrap
- 1 cucumber, cut into long thin slices - 2 per wrap
- 2-3 mixed (mild) peppers - about 6 slices per wrap
- Fresh parsley sprigs, optional
- Tofu or other choice of protein, optional
- Sprinkle of hemp seeds, optional
- 1 (15-ounce) can chickpeas, drained and rinsed
- ¼ cup vegetable broth (or water)
- 3 tablespoons fresh lemon juice
- 2 tablespoons tahini
- 1 garlic clove
- ½ teaspoon sea salt
- ¼ cup fresh parsley
- ⅛ teaspoon cumin
- ⅛ teaspoon smoked paprika
- Freshly ground black pepper, to taste
- 1½ cups packed fresh spinach
- Make the Spinach Hummus: In a food processor, combine the chickpeas, vegetable broth, lemon juice, tahini, garlic, salt, parsley, cumin, paprika, and black pepper and blend well. Add the spinach and blend again. Chill until ready to use.
- To assemble the wraps, spread about ¼ cup of hummus on each wrap, leaving a ½-inch border around the edges. Add the spinach leaves followed by the cucumber and pepper slices. Top with the fresh parsley, protein of choice and hemp seeds, if using. Roll up the wraps and then wrap in foil. Refrigerate until until ready to use.