I have three really great reasons why you should make this watermelon margarita recipe this weekend: 1. It’s summertime on a Saturday! 2. These are so easy and require no additional sweetener aside from the watermelon so they’re borderline healthy(?) and 3. You made the Spicy Tomato and Watermelon salad on Thursday and now you have leftover watermelon hanging out in your fridge. Waste not want not!
Let’s get blending…
How to Make a Watermelon Margarita
- Start making your watermelon margarita by blending the watermelon with lime juice. This juice will keep in the fridge for most of the week, so you can easily do this step ahead of time.
- Then, mix the watermelon-lime juice with spicy tequila, and that’s it! Watermelon margarita time!
You can make the jalapeño tequila to be as spicy as you like. Infuse it for 15 minutes, and it’ll be mild. Alternatively, infuse it for 1/2 to one day, and it’ll be pretty spicy. Or, infuse it for 3 days and, well, that was too spicy even for me, and I have a pretty high spice tolerance. If you over-spice your tequila, just dilute it to taste with plain tequila.
- ½ cup tequila
- 1 small jalapeño, thinly sliced
- 5 cups cut watermelon
- ½ cup lime juice, plus 4 sliced lime rounds for garnish
- Handfuls of ice
- Sea salt for glass rims, optional
- Combine the tequila and half of the jalapeño slices. Set aside for 15 to 30 minutes to infuse (the longer you infuse, the spicier it will be).
- In a blender, combine the watermelon with the lime juice and a handful of ice.
- Salt the rim of 4 glasses, if desired, and fill each with ice. Pour the watermelon lime juice into the glasses and stir 2 tablespoons of tequila into each glass. Garnish with the lime rounds.