It’s been feeling summery around here, so I say – let’s bring on the colorful food!
Lately, I’ve been slightly obsessed with these black rice veggie sushi rolls that are new-ish at (our) Whole Foods. One in particular includes mango, avocado and cucumber and I find myself craving it all the time. I’ve had it on my list to recreate it for you for awhile now, but the idea of rolling sushi has felt too labor intensive.
For us, at-home sushi making is “sometimes” food. It’s reserved for those special nights when the sake is flowing and we have nothing but extra time… which doesn’t describe our evenings lately. But this combo was SO good that I thought I’d make it into a more accessible deconstructed bowl version. If you start your rice ahead of time, it’s quick to put together and it keeps well in the fridge. We ate it for dinner last night, I ate it for lunch today, you know the drill….
I get my forbidden black rice in the bulk bins – if you can’t find it, you could just as easily sub in brown rice or another grain.
Spicy Mango & Avocado Rice Bowl
- 2 cups cooked black forbidden rice, or other grain
- 1 14 oz. package extra firm tofu
- drizzle of olive oil
- drizzle of tamari
- 1 mango, cubed
- 1 scallion, sliced
- 1 cup shredded red cabbage
- a few radishes, thinly sliced
- ½ cup chopped cucumber
- 1 avocado, pitted and diced
- lime slices
- handful of chopped cilantro (or basil or mint)
- ⅓ cup coconut milk (full fat or light, from a can or box)
- 2 tablespoons peanut butter
- 2 teaspoon soy sauce
- 2 teaspoons lime juice
- 1 teaspoon sriracha
- optional - minced garlic and/or ginger
- Cook black rice as you would brown rice (I use a rice cooker). Ratio is 1 cup rice to 2 cups water.
- Preheat oven to 400 degrees F and prepare a baking sheet with parchment paper.
- Pat tofu dry, slice into cubes and toss with drizzle of olive oil and tamari. Arrange on baking sheet and bake until golden brown around the edges. About 20-25 minutes. Remove from oven and toss with a little sriracha to coat the outside of the tofu.
- While your tofu bakes, mix together the sauce ingredients. (I do this in a jar with a tight lid - shake until combined). Taste and adjust seasonings.
- Assemble bowls with mango, scallions, shredded red cabbage, radishes, cucumber, avocado cilantro and tofu. Serve with coconut sauce, extra sriracha and lime slices.
Store sauce separately in the fridge - if it firms up overnight, stir in a little water to thin it out.