We’re getting the weekend started a little early today with my favorite late summer drink. It’s been nearly 100 degrees around here lately – and to that I say, let’s make it hotter! Bring on the jalapeños…
My #1 rule of margaritas is to never use margarita mix. Fresh limes are a must. My #2 rule: mess with this recipe and make it your own. Adjust the ratios to make your margaritas as sweet, sour and/or spicy as you like. (I always like mine on the tart & spicy side). Double the recipe if you’re having friends over.
These are best served with salsa and tortilla chips… which are best served in this gorgeous platter from Crate & Barrel, who so kindly provided us with the serving pieces & glassware for this post. Check out the full story we created for the Crate & Barrel blog along with some healthy tailgating recipes!
- ¾ cup good tequila
- ¼ to ½ jalapeño pepper, plus extra slices for garnish
- ¼ cup Grand Marnier
- ½ cup fresh lime juice, plus lime slices for garnish
- ¼ cup simple syrup or fresh squeezed orange juice
- a few splashes of sparkling water
- handful of ice
- 1 cup water
- 1 cup sugar
- Pour the tequila into a mixing glass or small pitcher. Add the sliced jalapeño, ¼ to ½ of it, depending on how spicy you want your margaritas. Set aside at room temp for 15 minutes (the longer you let the jalapeños infuse, the spicier it will be).
- Make the simple syrup. In a small saucepan, combine equal parts of sugar and water. Bring to a boil, stirring until the sugar has dissolved. Chill in the fridge until ready to use. You can store any extra in the fridge for up to a few weeks.
- Make the margaritas by mixing together the jalapeño-infused tequila, Grand Marnier, lime juice and ¼ cup simple syrup. Taste. If you’d like a spicier margarita, add more jalapeño and let it it sit a little longer. Pour into glasses and add lime slices and jalapeños for garnish. For a lighter margarita, fill the glasses ½ full and add sparkling water.
This post is sponsored by Crate & Barrel. Products pictured: Castilo Round Platter / Coupe Cocktail Glasses