While cauliflower pizza might not resemble actual pizza dough, cauliflower couscous (in my opinion) really does mimic the texture of actual couscous remarkably well. If you were waiting for a vegan recipe with a few less carbs – here it is. In fact, this might be just a few chickpeas and a couple of currants away from paleo. (Although I’m not an expert on paleo rules so don’t quote me on that).
I went a little nuts with the nuts and spices. The cauliflower has such a subtle flavor so it’s really a blank canvas. Since we’re in the middle of winter, I figured I’d make use of a bunch of a variety dried spices – also, I had just cleaned out my pantry. Apparently, I had been hoarding hazelnuts.
I finished this off with a simple coconut & turmeric sauce that was inspired by a recipe my friend Angie made for me once (hi Angie!). This would make for a nice light dinner on it’s own, it was also really good with a few seared scallops on top.
- about 3 (loose) cups of cauliflower florets, dried completely
- 1 tablespoon coconut oil
- ¼ cup toasted hazelnuts, chopped
- 2 tablespoons pine nuts, toasted
- ½ teaspoon dried orange peel
- ½ teaspoon dried cilantro leaves
- ½ teaspoon red chile flakes
- 2 tablespoons currants
- 1 cup chickpeas, (optional: roast them in a bit of oil & salt)
- chopped fresh cilantro (optional)
- ½ cup coconut milk (full fat is ideal, light would do)
- ¼ teaspoon turmeric
- 1 teaspoon curry powder
- pinch of cinnamon
- Ahead of time: toast your hazelnuts and pine nuts and roast your chickpeas.
- Make your sauce by stirring together the coconut milk, turmeric, curry powder, a pinch of cinnamon and a pinch of salt.
- Pulse cauliflower in a food processor until it’s “riced” (ie, the size of couscous). Careful not to overmix, you don’t want to puree the cauliflower at all.
- Heat oil in a large skillet over medium heat. Add the cauliflower “couscous” and a few good pinches of salt. Let it gently toast for a minute or so and stir. you should see a few of the bits turning golden brown. (Careful not to overcook you want the pieces tender and not mushy). Toss again and add the nuts and spices and chickpeas. Cook until the spices become fragrant (about 30 seconds more) and remove from heat.
- Toss cauliflower mix with half the sauce, (not too much so it stays fluffy), and top with fresh cilantro Taste and adjust seasonings and serve it with the rest of the sauce on the side.