If there's one thing I love about cold weather, it's soup! Read on to find the 25 soup recipes I'll be making all fall and winter long.
If you’ve been following the blog for a while, you know that I love soup recipes. Actually, that’s an understatement. I simply adore soup. I love making it, I love eating it, and I love packing up the leftovers so that I can enjoy it again the next day. When I’m stressed, I turn to soup because I find it meditative to cook. When I’m snowed in, I turn to it because I keep a stash stored away in my freezer. And when I’m in need of a healthy reset after a vacation, I turn to it because it just makes me feel good inside. So without further ado – here are my 21 favorite soup recipes for warming up all fall and winter long:
Tips for Making Soup Recipes
1. Season to taste. Raw vegetable ingredients need seasoning, and vegetable broths vary in salt level. If your soup is bland, don’t hesitate to add generous pinches of salt and lots of fresh black pepper. Taste as you go!
2. Drizzle with olive oil. I always finish soups with a generous drizzle of olive oil. It adds richness and makes the flavors sing.
3. Save some for lunch! Most soups taste better on the second day, so be sure to make enough to have leftovers. In addition, most soup recipes freeze well for up to a few months!
4. Spice to your level. This is the fun & creative part of cooking soup recipes. If you’re making a soup that calls for lots of spice but you prefer milder flavors, start with less. If you like things spicy, add more! It’s important to taste as you cook and adjust the flavors to make something you really love.
My Favorite Soup Recipes
1. Curried Tomato Lentil Soup – If you open your pantry, you’ll likely find all the ingredients to this bright, warming, and weeknight-friendly lentil soup inside. It’s one of our favorites and a fan favorite, too!
2. Golden Turmeric Noodle Miso Soup – This recipe is perfect for brightening up cold and cloudy days! The vibrant broth is filled with sunny turmeric and tangy citrus juices.
4.Cream of Mushroom Soup – This savory cream of mushroom soup tastes decadent, but it’s secretly healthy. Nut and dairy-free, it gets its creamy texture from cauliflower!
5. Creamy Wild Rice Soup – White beans, wild rice, and lots of hearty veggies make this lightly creamy vegan soup a meal on its own.
6. Oyster Mushroom Soup – Yep, this recipe calls for lemongrass AND ginger, garlic AND garlic powder, leeks AND celery, lemon juice AND rice vinegar. It’s brothy, tangy, savory, and brimming with flavor. Don’t worry, though. If you don’t have all the ingredients, it’ll still be delicious.
7. Vegan Corn Chowder – Cashew cream, potatoes, and yellow split peas give this vegan corn chowder its creamy texture. Top it with coconut bacon for a crispy, smoky accent!
8. Carrot Coconut Gazpacho with Lemongrass – I call this recipe a “gazpacho” because it comes together easily in the blender. Chill it for a few hours if you want it gazpacho-style, but if you’re craving something warm, it’s equally good after a few minutes on the stove. Just 10 ingredients!
9. Ginger Miso Soup – Craving a classic miso soup? This recipe is for you. With ginger, soba, mushrooms, and tofu, it’s a simple, nourishing lunch or dinner.
10. Creamy Tomato Soup – This tomato soup may be vegan, but it’s still perfectly creamy, thickened with blended chickpeas!
12. Vegan “Cheesy” Broccoli Soup – It’s creamy, tangy, rich & satisfying – everything you want in a cheesy broccoli soup! But this recipe is dairy-free, and there’s a whole pound of broccoli hiding inside.
13. Pumpkin Tortilla Soup – Grab the next winter squash you see, because this smoky, hearty vegan tortilla soup is one you have to try ASAP.
14. Ribollita – Ribollita is what I make when we have stale bread on the counter. It’s a traditional Tuscan white bean soup that uses bread as a thickening agent. Chock full of veggies, it’s a filling, satisfying dinner on its own.
15. Curried Red Lentil Sweet Potato Stew – Brimming with warming Indian spices and citrus juices, this healthy stew is even better on the second day. Make a big batch, and enjoy leftovers for lunch!
16. Butternut Squash, Kale & Quinoa Stew – A thick tomato broth surrounds quinoa, squash, and kale in this healthy spiced stew. This recipe is one I make again & again. Try it to see why!
17. Many-Veggie Vegetable Soup – What veggies do you have in your fridge? No matter your answer, you can make this easy, flexible, many-veggie soup.
18. Carrot Ginger Soup – This is one of my weekly go-to soup recipes – it only calls for 7 ingredients! If you can get your hands on a bunch of carrots with good greens, make sure to blend up the carrot top pesto to drizzle on top.
19. Sustenance Sweet Potato Soup – A scoop of almond butter adds richness and creaminess to this hearty, gingery stew.
20. Creamy Roasted Cauliflower Soup – Making this 10-ingredient soup is easy – just roast & blend to get cozy, creamy vegan goodness.
21. Butternut Squash Soup – I’ve tried a number of butternut squash soup recipes over the years, and this one is my favorite. Filled with rosemary, sage, and ginger, it’s creamy, warming, and nourishing. Perfect for anytime you’re craving something cozy!
22. Easy Vegetarian Chili – Ok, so this one is technically more of a stew than a soup, but it’s my favorite smoky/spicy chili recipe that’s perfect for weeknights because it’s so darn quick & easy to make. A few pickled onions take it over the top.
23. Creamy Potato Soup – We’re obsessed with this potato soup recipe! It’s lusciously creamy and filled with bold, smoky, tangy flavor.
24. French Onion Soup – This easy French onion soup recipe will rival any you’ve had at a restaurant. Topped with crispy, cheesy baguette, it’s rich, savory, and comforting.
Soup Recipes from Love & Lemons Every Day!
Here are a few of my favorite soup recipes from my new cookbook, Love & Lemons Every Day:
Vegan Potato, Leek & Artichoke Chowder – I tested this recipe all last spring, and I promise you this: this rich & briny potato leek chowder is the perfect recipe for warming up on chilly nights.
Coconut Soup with Sweet Potato & Kale – My take on Thai tom kha! Lemongrass, mint, ginger & lime make this light, spicy coconut soup a comforting, yet refreshing meal.
Lasagna Soup – When you don’t feel like making lasagna, make lasagna soup! With the big, slurpy noodles and scoops of vegan ricotta, this one is fun to eat!
If you loved these soup recipes…
Best Soup Recipes: Simple Carrot Ginger
- 1 tablespoon extra-virgin olive oil
- 1 cup chopped yellow onions
- 3 garlic cloves, smashed
- 2 heaping cups chopped carrots
- 1½ teaspoons grated fresh ginger
- 1 tablespoon apple cider vinegar
- 3 to 4 cups vegetable broth
- Sea salt and fresh black pepper
- 1 teaspoon maple syrup, or to taste, optional
- coconut milk, for garnish, optional
- Heat the olive oil in a large pot over medium heat. Add the onions and a generous pinch of salt and pepper and cook until softened, stirring occasionally, about 8 minutes. Add the smashed garlic cloves (they’ll get blended later) and chopped carrots to the pot and cook about 8 minutes more, stirring occasionally.
- Stir in the ginger, then add the apple cider vinegar, and then add 3 to 4 cups of broth, depending on your desired consistency. Reduce to a simmer and cook until the carrots are soft, about 30 minutes.
- Let cool slightly and transfer to a blender. Blend until smooth. Taste and adjust seasonings. Add maple syrup, if desired.
- Garnish with a drizzle of coconut milk, if desired.