Chipotle dressing, mango salsa, and pickled onions infuse this dish with bold summer flavor. Serve it as a side dish, or enjoy it as a meal on its own!
The first time I made this recipe, I was doing what I love most: cooking with what I have on hand. I had some sweet potatoes on the counter, a little mango salsa in the fridge, and half a jar of pickled onions that needed to be used up. I grilled the sweet potatoes (because who wants to roast or bake them in the summer?), spread them on a platter, and started piling things on top.
Smoky Sweet Potatoes Recipe Ingredients
It was all improvised, but it ended up tasting so delicious that I’ve made the same dish two times since! Here’s what’s in it:
- Grilled sweet potatoes – They create a hearty base for the flavorful toppings.
- Mango salsa – I love how its sweet, zesty flavor contrasts with the smoky sweet potatoes.
- Black beans – They add plant-based protein and yummy earthy flavor.
- Fresh corn – I leave the kernels raw, giving this dish a nice crunch.
- Crumbled cheese – I’ve been using a tangy, funky quark that Jack and I got from Kite String Cantina here in Chicago. If you can’t find any, don’t worry. Crumbled feta or Cotija would be great too.
- Pickled onions – For pop!
- Serrano pepper – Not a fan of spicy food? Feel free to skip it.
- Fresh cilantro – Adding a few leaves freshens the whole dish up.
- And chipotle vinaigrette – This sweet and smoky dressing ties everything together. I recommend having extra handy for serving – the dressing really makes this dish.
Find the complete recipe with measurements below.
If you want to make this recipe extra-quick and easy to assemble, you can prep most of the components in advance.
When you’re ready to eat, just grill the sweet potatoes, and dig in!
We’ve been devouring this recipe for dinner, but if you have a lighter hand with the toppings (or a bigger group), you could serve it as an appetizer or a side dish instead. Whichever you choose, I think you’ll love it!
More Easy Summer Dinners
If you love this recipe, try one of these easy summer dinners next:
- Easy Black Bean Burger
- Portobello Mushroom Burger
- BBQ Jackfruit Sandwiches
- Stuffed Peppers
- Roasted Cauliflower Tacos
- Stuffed Zucchini Boats
- Roasted Vegetable Pasta
- Easy Pesto Pasta
For more Summer Dinner Ideas, check out this post!
Smoky Sweet Potatoes with Black Beans & Corn
- Rounds from 2 Grilled Sweet Potatoes
- ¼ cup Chipotle Vinaigrette
- ½ cup Mango Salsa
- ½ cup cooked Black Beans, drained and rinsed
- 1 ear fresh raw corn kernels
- ⅓ cup crumbled quark, cotija or feta cheese
- ¼ cup Pickled Red Onions
- 1 serrano pepper, thinly sliced
- 2 tablespoons cilantro leaves
- Sea salt and freshly ground black pepper
- Arrange the grilled sweet potato rounds on a platter and drizzle with 2 tablespoons of the chipotle dressing.
- Evenly scatter the mango salsa, black beans, corn, cheese, onions, serrano, and cilantro on top. Drizzle with more chipotle dressing. Season to taste with salt and pepper and serve.