Meet one of my favorite combos: sweet potatoes + feta. In this quinoa bowl recipe, they're the perfect hearty, tangy topping for grains, greens & nuts.
This quinoa bowl is what I make for dinner most often when no one is looking. It’s my go-to meal when I’m not working on new recipes, when I’m tired after a long day, and when I’ve definitely had too much take-out pho for one week. It’s not a 30-minute meal because roasting a sweet potato takes at least that long, but the rest is so darn simple. Plus, nothing actually calms me more than the wafting aroma of sweet potatoes roasting in my kitchen.
There’s no fancy sauce in this quinoa bowl. You won’t even dirty an extra bowl to mix together a separate dressing. Simply toss the roasted sweet potatoes with quinoa, a bit of feta cheese, and whatever greens, herbs & nuts you might have around. (Although I did have these gorgeous Farmhouse lettuces on this particular day).
This combo is so simple, but it’s quite honestly my favorite. Sweet potatoes & feta cheese are a match made in heaven, if you didn’t know already. Dress it simply with a drizzle of olive oil, squeezes of lemon, and a few generous pinches of salt and pepper. Serve it in bowls and get cozy!
Or skip the bowls and serve it on a platter – this would be an easy, delicious side dish for your Thanksgiving table.
Quinoa Bowl Recipe Variations
I’ve made a thousand different variations on this easy quinoa bowl over the years. Here are some of my favorites:
- Roast your chickpeas along with the sweet potato for extra crunch.
- Use any toasted nut or seed – or a mix – in place of the almonds. I highly recommend pepitas or walnuts.
- Swap the feta for freshly grated Parmesan.
- Try millet or farro in place of the quinoa.
- Add a handful of dried cranberries or dried tart cherries for sweetness.
- Toss in a few tablespoons of minced herbs – think thyme, parsley, or sage.
- Use roasted butternut squash instead of sweet potatoes, or use a mix of roasted root vegetables.
Let me know what variations you try!
If you love this quinoa bowl recipe…
Simple Sweet Potato Quinoa Bowl
- 1 medium sweet potato, cubed*
- Extra-virgin olive oil, for drizzling
- ½ cup cooked chickpeas, drained and rinsed
- 1 cup cooked quinoa
- 2 scallions, finely chopped
- ¼ cup thinly sliced red cabbage
- ⅓ cup crumbled feta cheese
- ¼ cup almonds, toasted and chopped
- 2 cups baby salad greens
- Juice of ½ lemon, more to taste
- Sea salt and freshly ground black pepper
- Preheat the oven to 400°F and line a baking sheet with parchment paper. Toss the sweet potatoes with a drizzle of olive oil and a few pinches of salt and pepper. Roast until golden brown, 25 to 35 minutes.
- Toss the roasted sweet potatoes with the chickpeas, quinoa, scallions, cabbage, feta, almonds, and salad greens. Drizzle with olive oil, the lemon juice, and a few generous pinches of salt and pepper. Add more lemon juice and season to taste. Toss and serve in bowls.