These green beans, simply prepared with olive oil, garlic, and lemon, are delicious & bright! An easy, 4-ingredient side dish.
This is my favorite way to cook green beans! I lightly blanch them so that their color stays vibrant, yielding perfectly cooked beans that still have a crisp, al dente bite. Finally, I toss them with a light dressing made of olive oil, lemon juice, and garlic. They’re a perfect side dish that comes together in less than 15 minutes!
How to cook green beans:
- Lightly blanch them in boiling water for 2 to 4 minutes, until they’re al dente, but still vibrant.
- Rinse them briefly in cold water to stop the cooking process. This will keep them bright green.
- Toss with the lemon-garlic dressing below and serve!
Optional topping ideas:
- Toasted almonds or pine nuts
- Fresh herbs such as parsley, thyme, or basil
- Grated Parmesan or pecorino cheese
- A few fried shallots (from this recipe)
More Green Bean Recipes
- Green Bean Casserole
- Green Bean & Purple Potato Salad
- Summer Veggie Tomatillo Tacos
- Sunny Creamy Tahini Pasta Salad
- Chickpea Pan Bagnat Sandwiches
- Many-Veggie Vegetable Soup
Simple Lemon Green Beans
- 1 pound green beans, de-stemmed
- 2 tablespoons extra-virgin olive oil
- 1 garlic clove, grated or finely minced
- juice of ½ lemon plus ½ teaspoon zest
- sea salt and freshly ground black pepper.
- Bring a large pot of water to a boil.
- In a small bowl mix together the olive oil, garlic, lemon juice, zest, salt, and pepper.
- Boil the beans until tender but still vibrant green and a little bit crunchy, about 2 to 4 minutes. The timing will depend on their size..
- Drain the green beans in a colander, and rinse under cold water. Transfer to a kitchen towel and pat dry. Transfer to a serving dish and toss with the dressing. Season to taste and serve.