You won't miss the meat here! Shiitake bacon adds rich umami flavor to these simple breakfast tacos topped with avocado & fresh pico.
Welcome to part 2 of Meal Prep Breakfast Taco week! If you don’t know what I’m talking about, go check out Monday’s post and read about how we’re prepping once to make 3 different breakfast tacos throughout the week. If you’re not a tacos-for-breakfast person, you can make these for lunch or dinner just the same. Me? I go to bed dreaming of tortillas…
So taco #2 is… Shiitake Bacon & Egg Tacos!
Shiitake “Bacon” is this magical thing where you toss sliced shiitake mushrooms with olive oil and tamari, then you bake them until they’re shriveled and crisp around the edges. It has a wonderfully deep umami savory flavor that’s not exactly like bacon, but deliciously bacon-esque, and OMG it’s perfection in breakfast tacos! These are so yummy with fresh cherry tomato pico and, of course, sliced avocado.
Here’s what I prepped in advance:
– Shiitake Bacon – store it in the fridge; if you like, you can warm it in the oven before serving.
– Cherry Tomato Pico
Here’s what I made fresh:
– scrambled the eggs
– sliced avocado
– topped with a few microgreens and some sliced serrano (all optional)
Here’s a downloadable PDF grocery list for the whole week of 3 recipes. Stay tuned for taco #3 on Friday!
Shiitake "Bacon" & Egg Breakfast Tacos
- 8 ounces shiitake mushrooms, stemmed and sliced
- 2 tablespoons extra-virgin olive oil
- 1 tablespoon tamari
- 1 cup cherry or grape tomatoes, sliced in half
- ¼ cup finely diced red onion
- ¼ cup diced cilantro
- 2 tablespoons fresh lime juice
- 1 garlic clove, minced
- ½ jalapeño, stemmed and diced
- ¼ teaspoon sea salt
- 3 large eggs
- Extra-virgin olive oil, for brushing
- 4 tortillas, charred or warmed
- ½ avocado, sliced
- Microgreens, optional
- Sliced serrano peppers, optional
- Lime wedges, if desired, for serving
- Make the Shiitake Bacon: Preheat the oven to 325°F and line a large baking sheet with parchment paper. Toss the shiitake mushrooms with the olive oil and tamari and toss to coat. Spread in an even layer on the baking sheet. Roast 30 to 40 minutes or until dark brown and lightly crisp around the edges. Set aside. (If you made your shiitake bacon in advance, warm it in the oven for a few minutes, if desired.)
- Make the Cherry Tomato Pico: In a small bowl, combine the tomatoes, onion, cilantro, lime juice, garlic, jalapeno and salt. Set aside.
- When ready to serve, brush a medium nonstick stick skillet lightly with olive oil and bring to medium heat. Add the eggs, let them cook for a few seconds, and then stir and scramble until the eggs until just set.
- Assemble the tacos with the eggs, avocado slices, shiitake bacon, scoops of the cherry tomato pico. Top with the microgreens and sliced serranos and serve with lime wedges, if desired.
These are AMAZING!
I made this for brunch and it was delish! Definitely adding this to my brunch recipes!
I’m glad you loved it!
Can I rehydrate dried shiitake and then follow the bacon process?
I’m obsessed with breakfast tacos.
me too 🙂
I just want to say thank you Jeanine for writing this book. I am a pescatarian who only eats fish as my protein so finding recipes that have non animal products on top of vegan options (win!) DF AND GF is amazing! I could cry! I have encouraged my mom over the years (who was raised in the generation of you need “meat and potatoes” for a wholesome meal) to try foods without animals in them… not many other recipes were contenders for her… until I stumbled across your book. Although she still eats meat I have made her a few recipes from here that she LOVESSS! This being one of them. It’s our favorite to eat together, including the portebella sliders. Cheesy to say again but thank you so much for writing this book. I have gotten to bond with her over the same likeness & I am able to pass on the word that omitting certain things is ok, you’ll still live and the food can still be tasty. Thank you thank you 🙏🏼 ☺️
The husband and I LOVED the shitake mushrooms prepared this way! It was amazing what a great replacement for bacon it was. Everything else was also excellent. Will make for family and guests too! Thank you!!!!!!!
My parents would love to have something like this in the morning and I would too! I seriously LOVE avocado and need more things to eat including them and this recipe really gives me what I’ve been wanting!
This is my ultimate meal! Would definitely get me out of bed in the morning =)
I adore breakfast tacos!! Love how colorful these are too 🙂