If you went to the farmers market last weekend and brought home some zucchini, pattypan squash, tomatoes, carrots, onions, and lots of herbs – this vegetable pasta recipe is for you! If you didn’t bring home those exact vegetables, this recipe is still for you! It’s super flexible, and a way to use up pretty much any late summer vegetable that you might have on hand. Eggplant, corn, peppers, and/or broccoli would all work in here as well.
Why You’ll Love This Vegetable Pasta Recipe
I like making this vegetable pasta for two reasons. Most importantly, once all the vegetables are roasting, the kitchen smells amazing… the earthy carrots, the sweet tomatoes, and the savory onion aromas float around in the air in a way that makes me feel so happy to be cooking!
The second reason? You can get away with not measuring anything (fewer dishes!) as long as you’re willing to taste and adjust your final dish. Too bland? Add more salt, pepper, red pepper flakes, herbs, and/or cheese. Not punchy or bright enough? Add more squeezes of lemon and/or drizzles of vinegar. Too dry? Drizzle your olive oil a little more generously 🙂
If you love this vegetable pasta recipe…
- 4 carrots, cut into 1-inch pieces
- 2 Vidalia onions (or 1 small yellow onion), cut into 1-inch pieces
- 5 small pattypan squash, sliced in half
- 2 small zucchini, cut into 1-inch pieces
- 10 cherry tomatoes
- 1 tablespoon extra-virgin olive oil, more for drizzling
- 1 tablespoon sherry vinegar
- 2 garlic cloves, minced
- ½ teaspoon herbes de Provence
- Leaves from 8 sprigs fresh thyme, more for garnish
- 1 (16-ounce) package brown rice penne pasta
- ½ cup crumbled feta cheese
- ½ cup fresh basil, more for garnish
- Juice of ½ small lemon, more if desired
- Pinches of red pepper flakes
- Sea salt and freshly ground black pepper
- Preheat the oven to 400°F and line 2 large baking sheets with parchment paper. Place the carrots and onions on the first sheet and the pattypan squash, zucchini, and tomatoes on the other. Drizzle both sheets of vegetables with olive oil and generous pinches of salt and pepper. Place the sheet with the carrots and onions in the oven first and roast for 30 to 35 minutes or until the onions are tender and lightly charred, and the carrots are tender and browned. Place the second sheet in and roast for 20 minutes, or until the squash and zucchini are golden brown around the edges, and the tomatoes are lightly bursting. Remove from the oven and set aside.
- In the bottom of a large bowl, combine the 1 tablespoon of olive oil with the sherry vinegar, garlic, herbes de Provence, thyme, ¼ teaspoon salt, and several grinds of black pepper. Stir in the roasted vegetables.
- Prepare the pasta according to the instructions on the package, cooking until al dente. Drain and transfer the warm pasta to the large bowl with the roasted vegetables and toss to coat.
- Add the feta, basil, lemon juice, and red pepper flakes and gently toss. Season (generously!) to taste with more salt, pepper, and lemon juice, as desired.
- Garnish with more fresh herbs and a generous drizzle of olive oil.