I make these roasted sweet potatoes nonstop from the first day of fall to the last day of spring! Enjoy them as a side dish or in tacos, bowls, and more.
Who else loves roasted sweet potatoes?! I don’t know what it is about fall weather, but when the air gets cool and crisp at this time of year, I start cooking sweet potatoes like crazy. I bake them, I noodle them, I blend them into cozy sauces and toss them into soups. But most often, I roast them.
Why? First, roasted sweet potatoes are so darn easy to make! Just chop them up, toss them with some olive oil, salt, and pepper, and bake! The oven does most of the work for you. Second, they’re delicious. The salt and pepper accent the potatoes’ sweetness, creating a delectable sweet and savory flavor. I also love how the cubes puff up as they bake, becoming lightly crisp and caramelized on the outside and tender in the middle. And third, they’re just so versatile. You can toss them into salads, top them onto bowls, stuff them into tacos, and serve them as a side dish. Did I mention they’re pretty great straight off the sheet pan, too?
Below, you’ll find my simple method for how to roast sweet potatoes, as well as a host of suggestions for serving them. For the next few months, I’ll be making this roasted sweet potato recipe on repeat. I hope it becomes a standby in your kitchen, too!
Roasted Sweet Potato Recipe Ingredients
You only need a handful of ingredients to make oven roasted sweet potatoes:
- Sweet potatoes, of course! Look for ones that are firm, without any soft or damp spots.
- Extra-virgin olive oil – It adds a little richness and helps the potatoes soften and brown in the oven.
- And salt and pepper – They contrast wonderfully with the potatoes’ natural sweetness, making the roasted sweet potatoes deliciously sweet and savory.
That’s it! If you like, you can toss the sweet potatoes with additional seasonings before or after they come out of the oven, like I do in this taco recipe. Chili powder, cumin, cayenne, smoked paprika, or the shawarma spice blend from this recipe would all be great choices.
How to Roast Sweet Potatoes
There’s a reason I make oven roasted sweet potatoes so often: it’s super easy! Here’s what you need to do:
First, chop the potatoes. Do your best to cut all the pieces to a similar size so that they cook evenly in the oven. And if you don’t mind it, I definitely recommend leaving the sweet potato skin on. It’s full of nutrients, and it helps the cubes crisp up as they bake!
Next, season them. Spread the cubed potatoes on a parchment-lined baking sheet. Drizzle them with olive oil…
…and season them with salt and pepper…
And toss! Your goal is to coat the potatoes evenly in the oil, salt, and pepper.
Arrange the cubes on the baking sheet with a little space between each one. Don’t skip this step! If the potatoes are too crowded, they’ll steam in the oven, and they won’t get crisp and browned around the edges.
Finally, bake. Transfer the baking sheet to a 425° oven. Roast for about 25 minutes, until the potatoes are browning around the edges. The exact cooking time will vary depending on the size of your cubes and the freshness of your potatoes. Enjoy!
Oven Roasted Sweet Potatoes Serving Suggestions
In the fall and winter, I make roasted sweet potatoes nonstop, but I never get bored with them. That’s because there are so many ways to use them! Here are a few of my favorites:
- As a side dish. I especially love to serve roasted sweet potatoes with veggie burgers or black bean burgers, BBQ jackfruit sandwiches, chili, and tacos, but really, they’re great with just about anything.
- In a grain bowl. Use them in this buddha bowl or this sweet potato quinoa bowl, or build your own bowl with the roasted sweet potatoes, a grain like farro, quinoa, or brown rice, a protein like baked tofu or lentils, and a punchy sauce. Cilantro lime dressing, chipotle sauce, chimichurri, and tahini sauce are some of my favorites. Round out your bowl with whatever veggies you like best!
- In tacos or burritos. Stuff roasted sweet potatoes into a breakfast burrito, breakfast tacos, or these vibrant collard green wraps. They’re also fantastic in my Avocado Sweet Potato Tacos.
- In a salad. Make your own salad with roasted sweet potatoes, greens, and a flavorful dressing like tahini dressing, homemade Italian dressing, or lemon vinaigrette, or try my Sweet Potato Salad or Farmhouse Farro Salad.
- On avocado toast. With pickled red onions, pepitas, and a dash of adobo sauce? Yes, please!
- For breakfast! A hidden layer of roasted sweet potatoes is what makes my mom’s Healthy Breakfast Casserole so darn good! I also love tossing them into mini frittata muffins or a regular frittata with fresh sage and feta cheese.
How do you like to eat roasted sweet potatoes? Let me know in the comments!
More Favorite Roasted Veggies
If you love this recipe, try roasting one of these veggies next:
- Acorn Squash
- Brussels Sprouts
- Butternut Squash
- Spaghetti Squash
Roasted Sweet Potatoes
- 4 medium sweet potatoes, cubed
- Extra-virgin olive oil, for drizzling
- Sea salt and freshly ground black pepper
- Preheat the oven to 425°F and line 2 large baking sheets with parchment paper.
- Toss the sweet potatoes with olive oil, salt, and pepper and spread evenly onto the baking sheets. Roast for 25 minutes or until the edges are browned.