This healthy riff on hummus takes under 10 minutes to make. Packed with flavor from red peppers, white beans, lemon, and basil, it's vegan & gluten free.
I added this spread to sandwiches as my contribution to The Food Matters Project this week. It’s a hummus-like spread that I slathered over little toasts and topped with arugula, cucumbers, and scallions.
We ate these for lunch yesterday… and then the leftover spread, well, that just got eaten by the spoonful. I love pestos and spreads like this because they’re so versatile. If we didn’t devour the whole batch in one sitting (I made a half batch – big mistake) I would have kept the extra around all week to put on my eggs, spread over roasted veggies, or snack on with pita triangles.
adapted from Mark Bittman’s Food Matters
Red Pepper White Bean Spread
- 2 cups cooked cannellini beans
- 2 garlic cloves
- 1 cup walnuts
- 4 roasted red bell peppers
- ½ cup extra-virgin olive oil
- Juice of ½ lemon
- Sea salt and fresh black pepper
- 1 cup fresh basil (optional)
- In a food processor, pulse together the beans, garlic, walnuts, and peppers. Add the olive oil, lemon juice, and basil (if using), and process until combined. Taste and adjust seasonings.