I added this spread to sandwiches as my contribution to The Food Matters Project this week. It’s a hummus-like spread that I slathered over little toasts and topped with arugula, cucumbers, and scallions.
We ate these for lunch yesterday… and then the leftover spread, well, that just got eaten by the spoonful. I love pestos and spreads like this because they’re so versatile. If we didn’t devour the whole batch in one sitting (I made a half batch – big mistake) I would have kept the extra around all week to put on my eggs, spread over roasted veggies, or snack on with pita triangles.
adapted from Mark Bittman’s Food Matters
- 2 cups cooked cannellini beans
- 2 garlic cloves
- 1 cup walnuts
- 4 roasted red bell peppers
- ½ cup extra-virgin olive oil
- Juice of ½ lemon
- Sea salt and fresh black pepper
- 1 cup fresh basil (optional)
- In a food processor, pulse together the beans, garlic, walnuts, and peppers. Add the olive oil, lemon juice, and basil (if using), and process until combined. Taste and adjust seasonings.