These easy, spicy vegan Delicata Squash Tacos are perfect for fall! Filled with kale, mushrooms, squash & pumpkin cashew cream, they're healthy & delicious.
I almost posted these last week as an “alternative Thanksgiving” vegetarian option, but then I decided that the “T-day Taco” was a bit of a stretch. Personally, I’d love to eat tacos for any holiday feast, but would you? Raise your hand if so – I’m taking notes for next year…
Delicata squash is one of my favorite squashes for a few reasons: 1. you can cut it without worrying about cutting your arm off, and 2. you can roast it with the skins on – no peeling necessary – and it’s so sweet and tender.
I’ve been on a cashew cream kick lately, and this one is a version of the sauce that I put on these pumpkin tostadas a few weeks ago. It’s sweet, (a little) spicy, and super yummy.
Everyone always asks me about the tortillas I use. These are the homemade whole wheat tortillas from Central Market (here in TX). For this recipe, I would stick to flour tortillas over corn tortillas. The filling is a little, well… filling, and the whole wheat tortillas really hold these all together.
Roasted Delicata Squash Tacos
- 1½ cups raw unsalted cashews* (see note)
- ½ cup fresh water, plus more as needed
- Juice of 1 lime
- ⅓ cup ancho pumpkin sauce (or pumpkin puree + ½ tsp. chili powder)
- Pinch of garlic powder
- Sea salt and freshly ground black pepper
- 4 to 6 whole wheat tortillas, warmed
- 2 small delicata squash
- 1 tablespoon extra-virgin olive oil, plus more for drizzling
- ½ small yellow onion, sliced
- 1 cup shiitake mushrooms, stemmed and sliced (optional)
- 1 teaspoon apple cider vinegar
- 3 to 4 kale leaves, with stems, thinly sliced
- 1 lime, sliced into wedges
- Optional toppings: avocado slices, pomegranate seeds, cilantro
- Make the pumpkin cashew cream: Blend together the cashews, water, lime juice, pumpkin sauce, garlic powder, and a pinch of salt and pepper. Taste and adjust seasonings. Chill until ready to serve.
- Preheat the oven to 425°F and line a baking sheet with parchment paper. Slice the squash in half lengthwise, scoop out the seeds and slice into ½-inch segments. Toss the squash slices with a drizzle of olive oil and pinches of salt and pepper and roast until tender and golden brown, about 30 minutes.
- Heat 1 tablespoon of olive oil in a medium skillet over medium heat. Add the onion slices and a pinch of salt and pepper and cook until soft and browned, 5 to 8 minutes, stirring occasionally. Add the mushrooms, and cook until they are soft and browned, about 5 more minutes, stirring occasionally. Add the apple cider vinegar, stir, reduce heat, and cook until the mushrooms are very soft. Stir in the kale and cook until it wilts, about 1 more minute. Season with salt and pepper to taste.
- Assemble the tacos with the onion/mushroom/kale mixture and roasted squash. Top with desired toppings. Serve with the pumpkin cashew cream and lime slices.
Simplify this recipe by skipping the pumpkin sauce and topping these with your favorite jarred tomatillo salsa!