You only need 10 ingredients to make this easy remoulade recipe! Creamy and tangy, with a spicy kick, it's a delicious dipping sauce or condiment.
Creamy and tangy, with a delicious spicy kick, this remoulade is my favorite sauce of the moment. I’ve been slathering it on veggie burgers, serving it with French fries, and setting it out with these addictive air fryer fried pickles. We even loved it on the grilled sweet potatoes we made last week! All that’s to say, if you’re looking for an easy sauce to punch up a meal, this remoulade might be just the thing.
Classic French remoulade resembles tartar sauce. It has a mayonnaise base, and capers or gherkins and fresh herbs are often mixed in. This recipe is more akin to a Creole, or Louisiana-style, remoulade. I stir in paprika for color and complexity, and hot sauce and cayenne add heat. While this style of sauce would traditionally be served on po’ boys, crab cakes, or with fried fish, I can attest that it’s just as good on anything veggie. Make a batch, and you won’t have any trouble finding different ways to use it!
Remoulade Recipe Ingredients
Here’s what you’ll need to make this easy remoulade recipe:
- Mayonnaise – It creates the sauce’s creamy base. Better mayo will make a better remoulade, so I recommend using a really good one, like Sir Kensington’s. Vegan mayo will work here too.
- Mustard – It gives the sauce sharp, tangy flavor. Dijon mustard, Creole mustard, and yellow mustard are all fair game!
- Hot sauce and cayenne – For heat.
- Paprika – For bold color and peppery flavor.
- Garlic, scallion, and onion powder – They add savory, oniony flavor.
- And fresh lemon juice – For brightness.
Find the complete recipe with measurements below.
Something I really love about this recipe is that, unlike many of my other favorite sauces, you don’t need a food processor or blender in order to make it.
Just add all the ingredients to a bowl…
…and stir to combine! Before serving, season to taste. That’s it!
What to Serve with Remoulade Sauce
My favorite way to serve this remoulade is as a dipping sauce. It’s fantastic with anything crispy or crunchy. Try pairing it with one of these recipes:
- Air Fryer Cauliflower
- Zucchini Fritters
- Air Fryer Dill Pickles
- Baked Sweet Potato Fries
- Air Fryer French Fries
I also love this homemade remoulade sauce on sandwiches. Try it in these cauliflower po’ boy sandwiches, or use it to dress up your next veggie burger or black bean burger. It would also be great on a vegan hot dog with a scoop of pickle relish!
More Favorite Sauces and Dips
If you love this easy remoulade sauce, try one of these tasty sauces next:
- Creamy Chipotle Sauce
- Chipotle Ranch Dressing
- Vegan Ranch Dressing
- Creamy Dill Sauce
- Tzatziki Sauce
- Homemade Caesar Dressing
- Romesco Sauce
- In a small bowl, stir together the mayonnaise, mustard, hot sauce, paprika, garlic, scallion, lemon juice, onion powder, and cayenne.
- See the blog post above for remoulade serving suggestions.
Sources: The Washington Post