This roasted beet, avocado & grapefruit salad is my ideal fresh winter meal, with contrasting creamy, crunchy, sweet & tart elements.
This is my favorite winter salad. Although I use the term “winter” lightly – it is almost 70 degrees here. The sun is shining and my windows and doors are open… the dogs are playing in the yard… overall a perfect a Friday afternoon. It’s 20 and snowing in my hometown Chicago, and I couldn’t be more grateful that I live here in Austin where the season for happy hour margaritas on a patio is just around the corner.
If it’s cold where you are, hopefully this colorful, juicy, creamy, crunchy grapefruit salad will brighten your day.
Beet, Avocado & Grapefruit Salad
- 4-6 red beets
- 1 avocado, cubed
- 1 grapefruit
- Handful of pistachios, toasted
- Salad greens of your choice, a few handfuls per plate
- Drizzle of olive oil
- Pinches of salt
- Goat cheese (optional)
- Wash beets (you don't need to peel them yet), drizzle with a little olive oil, wrap in foil and roast in a 400-degree oven for 35-60 minutes. Remove them from the oven when they're fork tender.
- Once your beets are cool to the touch, peel them (the skin should slide off easily using your fingers) and slice into 1-inch wedges. Sprinkle with a few pinches of salt and set aside.
- Slice out the segments of your grapefruit, reserving some of the juice to drizzle over the salad at the end. Chop avocado into cubes and toast and salt the pistachios.
- Assemble the salad with the greens, beets, grapefruit segments, avocado, pistachios, and goat cheese, if using. Drizzle with a bit of olive oil and some of the reserved grapefruit juice. Add salt and pepper to taste.
Great simple recipe. Love the look of your site by the way!
I wish I could come sit on your patio and drink margaritas. The weather has been all over the place in Illinois!
This salad looks so delicious, I love pistachios with grapefruit and there are so many colors and textures going on here!
I’m jealous- it’s bitterly cold here in Colorado, however, I do enjoy the snow. Eating salads like this one make me feel like spring is just around the corner, whether it’s true or not. 🙂