If you like radishes, you'll LOVE this radish salad recipe! It uses them two ways - roasted and raw - and has a bright radish green pesto on top.
I immediately thought, “Radish salad!”, when I opened our CSA box a few weeks ago and found a heap of gorgeous radishes inside. Often, radishes play second fiddle in green salads and noodle bowls, but at this time of year, when they’re extra-crisp, piquant, and even a little sweet, they deserve to be the star of the show.
This radish salad recipe puts them front and center. I use the roots two ways – roasted and raw – and dollop a bright, nutty radish green pesto on top. Instead of adding a bed of greens, I bulk this salad up with white beans. They offer a delicious creamy contrast to the crisp veggies, but that’s not all: because there aren’t any tender greens here, this recipe is perfect for making ahead. We’ll be packing it up for picnics all summer long, and I hope you will, too!
Radish Salad Recipe Ingredients
Here’s what you’ll need to make this vibrant radish salad recipe:
- Radishes! I use them two ways here. I roast some to mellow their peppery flavor. Then, I thinly slice a few raw radishes and toss them in for crunch.
- Navy beans – Their creamy texture is delicious alongside the crisp radishes, and they make this salad hearty enough to be a meal on its own.
- Radish green pesto – It adds rich, nutty complexity to this fresh radish salad. If you look at the farmers market or grocery store and you can’t find radishes with good greens attached, don’t worry. Basil pesto is great here too.
- Pine nuts – For crunch!
- Capers – Their salty, briny flavor pairs perfectly with the peppery radishes, fresh herbs, and pesto.
- Fresh mint – Because radishes+mint are a match made in heaven.
- Shaved pecorino or Parmesan cheese – I love to add it to this salad for a salty, umami garnish, but it’s totally optional. If you’re vegan or dairy-free (or don’t have pecorino on hand), feel free to skip it!
- Lemon vinaigrette – This bright, zippy dressing ties the whole thing together. Yum!
Toss the white beans with a bit of the vinaigrette, and assemble the salad on a platter with the raw and roasted radishes, pine nuts, capers, and dollops of the pesto. Drizzle with more dressing, garnish with fresh mint, and season to taste with salt and pepper. Serve the radish salad with fresh pita, homemade focaccia, or crusty bread, and enjoy!
Find the complete recipe with measurements below.
Radish Salad Recipe Tips
- Make it ahead. Because the ingredients in this radish salad are so sturdy, it’s a great recipe to make ahead and pack for lunch or a picnic. If you do, I recommend waiting to add the mint leaves until right before you eat so that they stay green and fresh. Check out this post for more of my best meal prep tips!
- Keep the roasted radishes on the crunchy side. I always like my roasted radishes to have a nice bite, but I think it’s especially important in this radish salad recipe. If they’re too soft, they won’t contrast with the creamy white beans or hold up to the crisp raw radishes. I recommend roasting them for just 10-15 minutes when you’re making this recipe.
- Change it up! I love this radish salad recipe as written, but it works well with variations too. Try swapping cooked French green lentils for the white beans, or toss in a handful of arugula. Use a variety of fresh herbs, such as basil, tarragon, or thyme, in addition to the mint, or add some crumbled feta cheese. Replace the sliced red radishes with watermelon radishes, Easter egg radishes, or Persian cucumbers. You could even stir in chopped roasted asparagus! Get creative, and have fun. Let me know what variations you try!
More Favorite Salad Recipes
If you love this radish salad, try one of these salad recipes next:
- Bright Spring Salad
- Curried Lentil Salad
- Best Broccoli Salad
- Easy Pasta Salad
- Mediterranean Chickpea Salad
- Classic Caprese Salad
- Cucumber Salad
- Or any of these 37 Best Salad Recipes!
Radish Salad with Radish Top Pesto
- 1 1/2 cups cooked navy beans, drained & rinsed
- ¼ cup Lemon Vinaigrette
- 9 roasted radishes, halved or quartered
- 2-3 thinly sliced red radishes
- 1/4 cup pine nuts
- 1 tablespoon capers
- 1/4 cup Radish Green Pesto, (or any pesto)
- 1/4 cup fresh mint leaves
- 2 tablespoons shaved pecorino or Parmesan, optional
- Additional lemon juice, optional
- Sea salt and freshly ground black pepper
- In a medium bowl, toss the beans with 2 tablespoons of the Lemon Vinaigrette.
- Assemble the salad on a platter with the beans, roasted radishes, sliced raw radishes, pine nuts, capers, and dollops of pesto.
- Drizzle with remaining dressing and top with fresh mint and pecorino, if using. Season to taste with more salt and pepper and extra squeezes of lemon, if desired.